Thread: Stuck silver

Default Stuck silver

Hi all you helpful people! I have two disc cutter sets (the simple sort) and I have managed to get silver sheet from which I have cut discs stuck in both of them. The bits that are stuck are quite small. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can get them out, I would be extremely grateful. I need to cut more discs! Many thanks in advance, Yvonne

Really need to see it to asses the problem. So are there any helpful members near you? I am in Essex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With expensive sets the cutting punches are very slightly tapered, so they easily pass right through the sheet. If the punch is stuck, you need to put your block on something with a hole or a gap, and then use a long nail, or screw as a second punch, to tap the cutter all the way through. This usually means it ends up on the floor.

A thorough nuisance I know, but the price you pay for getting a less expensive set. Dennis.

I did have a minor jam and used a length of dowel as a drift in the reverse direction. Being wood it didn’t mark or harm the cutting plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify do have punches that are stuck or pieces of silver

She said silver sheet.
    Have you tried unscrewing the 2 plates, I’m assuming that’s how the cheaper versions are put together? I unscrew the lever handle on mine
    Last edited by CJ57; 29-10-2021 at 05:22 PM.

If I'm wrong, and it's only scraps of silver, then a small screwdriver should push them out, possibly aided by some light taps from a hammer. Dennis.

Sorry, Ruedeleglise, I'm in Devon!

Post Thank you

Thanks to all of you who have posted helpful comments/tips. I am grateful for your taking the time to suggest ways of solving the problem.