Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your claim to fame?

Just thought of some more while I was in the shower:

My Dad, who is 85, is still bell ringing at weekends at his local church on the outskirts of West Bromwich.

That could possibly make him the oldest campanologist in the UK.

I'm going out tonight to The Tower Ballroom in Edgbaston (it's 'grab a grannie' night again!) - Old face comedian, Johnny Carroll, is a regular there - anybody want his autograph if I see him?

I've nodded hello to Joss Ackland when walking on the Tarka trail
    Moon, I'm not sure I can count that one unless you can give me Diana Ross glancing at me from the stage at a concert at the NEC - the then girlfriend at the time was dead jealous but wouldn't admit it

but did she really, really catch your eye, Alan. Across a crowded room and all that? I suppose if the girlfriend was jealous she must've done but I'm not sure
    Di x

I cross my heart - it was as if there was just the two of us in the arena

oh, go on then. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt
    Di x

Oh, and my dad, who is 82, still runs the marathon. So he's probably the oldest marathon runner in Dunstable.
    Di x

Wow! Life obviously begins at 80! Something to look forward to.

When I was in Brum during my uni days, I used to work at for many of the athletics championships held there and through those I met most of Team GB, and many of my 1992 British Olympic athletic heroes (Linford Christie, Sally Gunnell, Colin Jackson, Jonathan Edwards, Michael Johnson [ok so he's US]). It was also there that I met Cherie Blair a few times, and she started to recognise me, and although she cannot smile, she was quite forward when I first met her - asking me to lift her onto a table! At another event I met Tony Blair with her too.

When I was a teenager, a friend and I bumped into Joanne Guest, which was exciting to teenage boys...for all the wrong reasons!

Finally, I think the most impressive famous person I met was the Crown Princess of Denmark - I spent a day on board a yacht there with her and only 20 others. She had her baby on board, who I accidentally knocked over, not realising he was behind me! Suprisingly the she was really friendly and easy to talk to. A very surreal day in all - especially as I only found out the evening before it was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    Which famous celebrity or icon of the modern age have you met or stood behind in the checkout in Aldi's?

My own personal encounters of this kind are a bit dismal and I'm really scraping the barrell with these.

I once stood behind 'Miss Diane' out of Crossroads at a checkout in Waitrose in Harborne and Benny (also from Crossroads) used to manage a bar up until recently in the jewellery Quarter - I stood next to him one night.

I also once sat next to Central News superstar Bob Warman on a flight to Majorca - didn't speak to him though.
    once measured Bob W for a Jaeger suit (oh yes inside leg and all) does that count

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    Just thought of some more while I was in the shower:

My Dad, who is 85, is still bell ringing at weekends at his local church on the outskirts of West Bromwich.

That could possibly make him the oldest campanologist in the UK.

I'm going out tonight to The Tower Ballroom in Edgbaston (it's 'grab a grannie' night again!) - Old face comedian, Johnny Carroll, is a regular there - anybody want his autograph if I see him?

Moon, I'm not sure I can count that one unless you can give me Diana Ross glancing at me from the stage at a concert at the NEC - the then girlfriend at the time was dead jealous but wouldn't admit it
    oh my God i cannot believe you are going to the Tower Ballroom is that still going desperate or wat!!!!!!