Thread: Brass bezel strip

Default Brass bezel strip

Am I crazy to be thinking of setting two turquoise stones with 0.3mm thick brass bezel strip. Can it be done or should I reconsider?

Hi Sheena,
    Brass hardens rapidly when worked, and turquoise marks easily with metal tools, so you would have to have a close fit, keep the bezel edge only just tall enough, and finish it as completely as possible before setting. Don't forget the dental floss when trying in the stone.

In the past, using glue has been a big no no for jewellers, because glues available could not compete with the traditional way.
    However as your stone is opaque, you might just consider a little clear Araldite in the base of your bezel cup. If the fit is good, the edge is kept low and it has been pre polished, you might not need to do anything more.

Below is an onyx druzy pendant done in this way, to preserve the crisp edge. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Onyx Necklace.jpg  

Hi Dennis this is them. I managed to set them with a hammer. I tried to keep the brass lip minimal so there wasn't too much to set like you advised. I didn't need the glue in the end
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211026_203502_compress44.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	13212

They are very unusual and well made. I think you are ready to make a collection of designs and sell them on Etsy actually. Dennis.

Those are lovely Sheena! Even more so because they have been set with a hammer and without glue! You must be chuffed to bits with them.
    Jules

Those are so gorgeous and unique! I use 0.4mm brass on turquoise, so far without issue! Glad you succeeded so brilliantly! May I ask why you were concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1827 View Post
    Those are so gorgeous and unique! I use 0.4mm brass on turquoise, so far without issue! Glad you succeeded so brilliantly! May I ask why you were concerned?
    I heard that brass is difficult to set because it's harder and springier; and turquoise is a soft stone. Thought the combination might not be possible but turned out fine in the end. I even used a hammer to set.