Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melting scrap silver.

Default Melting scrap silver.

I have got my hands on a 3ins scorifier with handle and an ingot with slots on both sides. All second hand but look serviceable except the scorifier has a small crack in it. Please what type of blow-lamp or heat source should I look for man enough to melt a good “hunk” of silver scraps that I have accumulated? Any books / articles that would help me? A Rolling mill is on my want list and I have made this known throughout the family as a birthday and Christmas is near!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi David, a 3in scorifier is quite large, you are going to need a hefty torch to get it up to temperature regardless of how much silver is in it, an oxygen and propane mixed set up is best however a sievert style torch running on red bottle propane would work well as long as it has a large nozzle…. They are normally sized by consumption …. Kw… or kgs per hour. Sometimes by nozzle diameter … The largest nozzle I have for my torch is 28mm diameter….. on full bore this would just about get my 3 inch Crucible up to temperature. I’m not sure about map gas I don’t use it much I find it expensive if using a lot of it.

Hope this helps … Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 19-10-2021 at 11:44 PM.

Hi David, As Nick has already said, you will need a really large torch, because you not only have to melt the silver, but get it hot enough to appear to be spinning so that it will pour.
    The most popular brand for this is the Sievert and you can shop around for the best price.
    You will also need a sturdy soldering hearth to guard against spills and splashes, flame resistant flooring, shoes and apron, and a fire blanket. Dennis.

Thank you both for your advice.we have a really good unit near me that stocks the most vicious looking gear! I get my red bottle propane from them so will visit them armed with your advice. Yes, the safety measures are all important and I do have some but not all those pieces. The biggest problem is going to be where to do this. My garage also houses ……not our cars but my Velosolex bike and special fuel plus all my wood working machinery. Not the choicest of environments……! May have to be out doors….that should impress the neighbours if they can see in!

The largest burner on the sievert will probably do it, I’ve only ever used it for soldering cuffs and the first time the noise scared the bejesus out of me!

Aha! I may have my answer! I have just found a sievert 3941P 2 Bar-240 g/h. DG 2238 burner. 2cms diameter. I remember buying it for plumbing a few years ago and , yes Caroline it sounds like a Tornado taking off. I have never used it for silver work.
    If it stops raining a bit of experimentation will be in order…….I will report back!

Mine is so old that it’s numbered 294 but that’ll be the one!

And yet another question! Borax powder….could one use a liquid flux instead when melting down scrap? Weather too blustery and rain showers not best to experiment today!

Ah, looks as if you need a car port (or a bus shelter).
    You can add liquid borax before you start applying heat with a smallish flame, but it will froth and bubble. However, you might wish to add more later, in which case anhydrous borax powder is the way to go, or it will spit back. Dennis.

A standard Sievert burner will happily melt several ounces of silver, even unconfined. However... A bit concerned by the crack in the scorifier; they have a habit of growing catastrophically at the worst possible moment.
    I wouldn't advocate a liquid flux - just use powdered borax. It'll foam up as the water boils off, but it's not a problem.