Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Melting scrap silver.

Thanks all of you for your advices. This is a next big step for me!
    I blame Dennis who said over a couple of years ago that he thought I was on the slippery slope to addiction!……….Rolling mill very soon now! Any advice on texturing strips….leaves etc to emboss silver sheet ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like lace - gives a very pretty pattern. The plastic netting from fruit bags will give a snakeskin like effect.

I'm busy collection things I think will work and those are my favourites at the moment

Don't put green leaves through a rolling mill, you'll just give yourself a lot of work to clean the rolls of squidged greenery. Leaf skeletons, or better still artificial leaf skeletons if you can find them.
    ISTR there are people using Cricut-type plotters to cut thin card for embossing?

I buy laser cut patterns on Etsy and they come from Canada. Curtain tape is quite good and even packaging paper. You just have to try different things on copper

Does anyone know the maximum thickness of silver you can start rolling progressively down from an ingot to produce a thin sheet. This is with the entry level mill. The write up is a bit vague…..they mention 4 mm but it isn’t clear (to me) if this is the max figure.

I think we've been here before David.

The problems are that very thick silver needs annealing and drying at every pass, which makes it very slow to begin with.

I prefer to pickle and rinse, out of habit, but this might be unnecessary.

Secondly, too heavy a load on your basic mill could cause a cog to break, so it is best to reduce the gap a small amount at a time.

All this has made me suggest 4.0mm as a good starting point, but there is nothing to stop you reducing the thickness with a large hammer to begin with. Dennis.

Yes Dennis I remember that post but couldn’t remember if I had decided which mill! I suppose initial thinning can be by use of a hammer…..with annealing of course.. anyhow thanks to you all for your encouragement and advices.

Default Melting scrap silver.

Just got the mill from cooksons……40kilos! Now well bolted down on my garage workshop bench and put together. Itching to experiment first with textures and leaf skeletons. A new journey of discovery awaits!

Congratulations. Don't forget to stop for meals. Dennis.