Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gemstone in rivet

Default Gemstone in rivet

I have made a flower in 0.6mm brass and want to tube rivet it to my ring shank. It will go through the centre of the flower. How do I set a facetted stone in the top of the tube. Any resources you know of, what thickness should the tube be and how do I do this. Thanks Sheena.

I've been thinking maybe it would be more likely to work if I used a solid rivet, riveted in place, then drilled the setting and flush set

You’d have to solder it or by drilling the splay on the top you’d be taking away the riveting part if you get me and then would it not just fall out the bottom? You’d need a big solid rivet to still function as a rivet and also as a stone setting I would have thought
    Last edited by CJ57; 09-10-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I think so as it’s only a rivet if both ends are splayed. It would just fall out if not soldered so basically it’s a soldered tube setting
    Ah I see what you mean

I’d deleted that answer and replaced it with the one published. You’re too quick!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    You’d have to solder it or by drilling the splay on the top you’d be taking away the riveting part if you get me and then would it not just fall out the bottom? You’d need a big solid rivet to still function as a rivet and also as a stone setting I would have thought
    I'm definitly going to solder the bottom of the rivet to the shank. I'd need something quite thick to make sure I don't compromise the rivet I think. Still debating whether to use a chunky bit of tubing or a solid piece of wire.

If you rivet a metal flower onto a ring, it will be compromised, because the daily leverage will eventually cause it to come loose.
    I see no reason not to add a tube setting and then solder it (upside down) onto the ring shank, in that order.

If you are nervous about melting your flower, extra easy assay quality silver solder will come to the rescue. It is cheap and very strong. Dennis.

Morning Dennis, I've taken your advice and gone for the soldering option. It's in the pickle pot as we speak.

Well done you. Dennis.

Finished. I love the vintage garnet. It's a great colour
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211011_125514_compress56.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	13209
    Picture has posted sideways