Thread: Help - mount snapped off platinum band - is repair possible?

Default Help - mount snapped off platinum band - is repair possible?

Hi all,
    First time posting on here and I'm hoping it's okay to ask for some advice regarding my engagement ring.

My questions are as below, with some background ramble to follow:

1. Can the ring be repaired with confidence this won't happen again? Could structural integrity of the ring be comprised going forward from this damage?
    2. Is the design flawed? I am honestly baffled how I could not be aware that the platinum had literally snapped, is the mount too high for how dainty the band is?
    3. Does the soldering look correct in the centre?

This is the 2nd time the head of my engagement ring (platinum with diamond cluster) has snapped off. The first time I thought it was a physical fluke/the impossible had happened. I caught it on the edge of the oven glass and it literally ripped off, I haven't an idea how the force snapped platinum (it didn't hurt my finger), luckily the goldsmith agreed to repair it for free. Very shortly after I noted one of the prongs was bent and had to return the ring again, the jewellers argued that I must be too heavy handed and needed to be more careful, I was very frustrated as I had no idea how the damage even happened the 2nd time round, I just noticed it shortly after the first repair and was very upset. They agreed to repair it for free again.
    Now the head has snapped off again! This time I didn't even know it had happened, I was absolutely distraught when I felt the sharp prongs after returning from an evening out. I rang my parents (who i'd been out with at the time) and my Mum said she'd seen it on my finger not long before we left so I decided to go drive back to where we'd been parked, I was so relieved to find it on the pavement well over an hour later! So, I can only guess it happened when I put my son into the car, but I cannot understand how I didn't even feel or know it had happened?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Hmm. Difficult one. As it appears in the photos, that's perhaps not a ring I'd recommend wearing all the time. It looks to be quite a high setting and the nature of the beast is that they'll always be vulnerable to high wear. I can't see anything wrong with the construction from those photos - the design is fairly common.

Prongs bending could potentially be from an unfinished prong catching, but given the description of the other situations where it's been damaged that's possibly less likely to be the cause.

In answer to the questions -
    1. No. I'd never tell someone it will never happen again. It can be repaired, but it's a delicate piece of metal and is vulnerable. I'd be inclined to ask the jeweller who sold it to you what they'd advise - can it be beefed up (or worst case remodelled to something lower profile)?
    2. Nope. Standard design, 2 part head & shank, peg mounting.
    3. I honestly couldn't say on the soldering, the picture is very low res - I'd need to see it under a microscope.

The only possibility I can think of on the mount is if it were a flawed casting, but that'd have to be determined in person. It's not too big a deal to swap it over, assuming it's a catalogue one.

ATETOD, it may be that that isn't the right ring design for your lifestyle.