Thread: How to attach GRS mount to Durston bench

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to attach GRS mount to Durston bench

Hello all. After spending a few years working in other people's shops I am putting together my own workspace for the first time.

I have a Durston Superior bench that includes a metal bracket with 6x holes to accommodate the GRS BenchMate mounting plate. I’ve seen some videos where the mounting plate is attached with nuts on the back side of the bracket, but the bracket fixed to my bench is just about flush against the wood of the bench (I can slide a piece of paper between the metal and the bench). The GRS adapter came with 4x screws.

Do I just drill pilot holes and screw through the bracket directly into the wood behind?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	138F4B96-DC43-45A7-BDB8-BBCB6AADAC45.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	13193

Name:	3D3C2205-6903-4186-B0AB-F85EC6C2BD41.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	13194

Name:	942F06BC-C110-4B32-970A-2599B0570C66.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	13195

Name:	49BBFCCC-0E66-4649-9345-97A7EC33E2EB.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	13196

Yes the holes are so you can set the peg at different heights you only need 4 screws. I think I only have 2 in mine

The reason it is confusing is, that is not a GRS bench mount ( as we all know Durston are notorious for copying other companies ideas) The holes in the genuine GRS mount are threaded the dovetail plate mounts directly, (no need to screw into the timber)
    this allows you to position the plate where you want

I'm horrified - after drilling in pilot holes and attempting to place the GRS adapter I see that the holes in the Durston metal plate are completely different to the GRS ones - they do not align!!!! The bench is advertised at Cooksongold where I purchased it as featuring: "A centre bracket for mounting bench pegs (suitable for mounting GRS accessories)"

How do I get GRS accessories mounted on this plate that came with the bench if the adapter does not fit??

Name:	IMG_8414.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	13197

Name:	IMG_8416.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	13198

Name:	IMG_8417.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	13199

I don’t know about either of these but as Bob said Durston suddenly started producing equipment that looked like other reputable bits of kit, was way more expensive. There has been in my experience always something wrong, not as advertised or even photographed and a little bit ahoddy in a detail. You won’t make much of them I’m afraid and I steer clear now

The are ways to fix it such as welding re drilling etc but the most practical method would be to buy a GRS bench plate and replace the existing Durston item
    https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...grs&channel=uk