Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got my first hallmark packet back and 3 bracelets missing

And, to add insult to injury, they charged me for hallmarking the missing bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffas88@gmail.com View Post
    The situation is being investigated by Adam Phillips customer service manager. I have photos and have sent them to him. I didn't know about sending to ACG but that does seem a good idea. My partner warned me about sending valuables in the post but I thought he was being over cautious. But he was right as usual. The whole thing is a mystery. A discrepancy note was sent with my jewellery but no one phoned me about it. Which, on reflection, is probably a good thing. Nothing could be done at that point and I would have worried over what items were missing. As it was I was lucky and they were my least favourite items. I registered with London as I thought the London hallmark was best. I think I will register with Birmingham, which is nearer, and hand deliver in future.
    When I first read your post I thought you meant they have arrived at the Assay Office, with 3 bracelets missing.

It looks like they hallmarked them and you were charged for that, but they have been returned to you with bracelets missing - am I correct?

They wouldn't charge you for hallmarking items if they didn't receive them, so I'm struggling to understand what is going on here. Anyone else?
    Last edited by Petal; 15-09-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    Jules

I have just had a email from the The Assay office. Adam tells me that the bracelets must have gone missing in the post. The weight of the jewellery they received was 55 grams lighter than I sent. The bracelets went missing in transit. It just confirms what I thought. It was registered post so someone couldn't take the whole packet. They just opened the packet and took some items. The thought of going through the Royal Mail compensation process daunts me, especially as I understand they will compensate materials only and, as we all know, most of the value in jewellery is the labour.

OK, so you have it in writing now that the items went missing en route at least; hopefully you've got a record of the sent weight, so that provides proof end-to-end.
    I'd log it with the police as well and get a crime number as well as contacting RM - get the number first, then put it in the complaint.

Thanks Peter. That's a great idea. I knew there was a reason I've been lurking around this forum for years.

Its horrible when things go missing. I was asking because If you did sent the items special delivery you will be insured if the costs do not tally up with what you have sent as to what got hallmarked you can claim on your postage you sent it with. If its been sent and lost from assay the postage you paid for from them will cover. It takes a while you need to fill forms out and you will only get the value of the silver and anything you can prove you spent making it but not your time unfortunately. The Royal Mail lost a platinum signet ring I made once, I got a note through the door that said it couldn't be delivered when I went to pick it from the sorting office they couldn't find the envelope , It turned up a week after about 20 phone calls ! But apart from that I have sent loads of my jewellery by post and its all been good.

Thanks for that info. But in my case it is not loss. It is theft. My receipt for posting special delivery says the packet weighed 300g. The assay office have proof that when the packet arrived at their premises it only weighed 244g. The packaging wasn't damaged. Nothing could fall out. Someone in Royal Mail opened the packet, took out 3 bracelets, and resealed the packet. I will never get the bracelets back. They were stolen. That is a criminal act. Royal Mail should not be employing thieves. If the person responsible gets away with it none of our postal consignments will be safe. He/she will do it again.

Bad things happen, not good when they do, unfortunately, in organizations such as Royal Mail, Australia Post, USPS, it is is impossible to screen every employee, there will always be a fly in the ointment somewhere. Recently my Mother passed away in the nursing home, ( lots of carers many casual) many items of jewellery suddenly went missing one piece being her $30,000.00 engagement ring, gone forever and no real way to catch the the thief, sounds hard but sometimes you just have to chalk it up to experience and try to put in place measures to prevent it happening again.

These things happen unfortunately and at least you have squared it with LAO and you can be confident that nothing has gone wrong at their end. Report to the police as suggested and then report to RM. I know you you want justice but unless they have it on camera it may be unlikely.
    You have to weigh up the worth of the metal against the mental stress of wanting justice and maybe move on. Shift to Birmingham as it really makes no difference which office you use and put other mitigation in place if that makes you feel happy.
    My OH drives the 80mile round trip to Edinburgh twice! Usually because I’ve left it late for a show or the turnaround has got longer and he really likes to drive and it only takes him about 40 mins. Realistically not many of us live near enough any of the offices so have to use the post or courier and keep our fingers crossed that the whole process is a positive one. Not the way you wanted your first foray into hallmarking to go but that seems to be life at the minute