Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flux

Default Flux

Hello,

I've always used a borax bar and dish along with strip solder.

I have recently tried the solder paste which I find quite useful for smaller things like jump rings although I still hate soldering jump rings! I hold my breath every time! haha!

Just in general (no particular piece), I was wondering if anyone has any better recommendations in terms of flux or brands....I have never tried liquid flux but wondered if it made the job cleaner?

I've also seen an easy Flo powder as well which you add water to and then supposedly add it into the borax dish to help with the flow. It doesn't say what kind of consistency or anything but just guessing maybe it is trial and error?

Anyway, thanks as always for anyone that might have anything to add.

Louise

I just use Borax and mix to a paste or liquid depending on the the particular application, I have tried several liquid fluxes and have not been very impressed as yet

Auroflux/Auflux works well with silver solders, with much less bubbling than borax, so that is what many of us prefer to use.

Easy Flow flux is particularly good for lower melting solders, such as easy and X easy. It is used on its own with enough water to make a skimmed milk look. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-09-2021 at 01:36 PM.

That is food for thought Auroflux/Auflux gets good recommendations I tried some years ago and was not happy, ended up with a burnt on black soot, I must try again now that I am more experienced

I do have a borax cone but find auflux easier and less messy to use. I should go back and see if it makes much difference as it’s all we were trained to use but times move on and I know some still find it the best.it’s probably a matter of preference

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I do have a borax cone but find auflux easier and less messy to use. I should go back and see if it makes much difference as it’s all we were trained to use but times move on and I know some still find it the best.it’s probably a matter of preference
    I agree with you Caroline and Dennis. I do use the cone, but less often now and prefer the Auflux, as no moving about of silver and less bubbling.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I agree with you Caroline and Dennis. I do use the cone, but less often now and prefer the Auflux, as no moving about of silver and less bubbling.
    There is a way round that Jules. I heat up the piece until the borax has bubbled and gone sticky then I place the solder. It’s well tacked on then and doesn’t move

I use Auflux - I don't get on the borax cones at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    There is a way round that Jules. I heat up the piece until the borax has bubbled and gone sticky then I place the solder. It’s well tacked on then and doesn’t move
    Many thanks for that tip Caroline, much appreciated.
    Jules

Thanks for the info / tips everyone