Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Chain

Default Safety Chain

Some thing I have never had much to with until being swayed by the experts on this forum "Safety Chains" what is the accepted length or is it just what seems right at the time.

I’ve never used them but suppose it has to allow the bracelet to still go over the hand and a necklace to go over the head as you have to be able to get both of them on and off. That’s my guess though

Yep that is what I thought, just wondered if there was some unreasonably complicated equation. One of those family jobs where I should have pretended I was deaf, or hid behind the cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Yep that is what I thought, just wondered if there was some unreasonably complicated equation. One of those family jobs where I should have pretended I was deaf, or hid behind the cupboard.
    If not deaf I’d have tried to talk them out of it unless of course it’s gold!

HA! it is gold has enormous sentimental value, bracelet, the chain is basically worn out, if it was not so sentimental I would suggest melting it down and making something else from it I am the one who plays with such things so lucky me!

I’ve just been looking at my antique jewellery and wondering if I wouldn’t be better stripping down the metal for scrap and making something new. I never wear it and don’t have anyone to leave it to so given metal prices just now that’s the way to go

As a rule of thumb, 5.5 - 6.0 cm is about right, or you could tie some string loosely around the widest part of the hand, held out flat with the thumb tucked under.
    Cut the string, and subtract the length of the bracelet.

As mentioned earlier, bracelets acquire a life of their own and tend to slither onto the flour. Safety chains keep them on the wrist when doing them up. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alt Alternative Material Project.jpg  

Thanks Dennis, gives me something to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ve just been looking at my antique jewellery and wondering if I wouldn’t be better stripping down the metal for scrap and making something new. I never wear it and don’t have anyone to leave it to so given metal prices just now that’s the way to go
    I've been busy melting down the 1977 Jubilee ingots I was given at the time. I didn't much like them at the time and my opinion hasn't changed.

I'm now working my way through my mother's stash of them. They were popular presents that year it seems!

Hi caroline,
    It’s great that with a bit of effort silver can evolve into something new, what are you making with it….. i’m always amazed how much 1mm wire I can produce from a lump of scrap silver and how long I can be entertained turn it into jump rings and chains….. Nick