Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spammers and timewasters

Aw I missed them, nothing like a bit of spam for breakfast!
    Is there a point? Is it always to eventually post a link or is just time wasting? Given the more contrived spam going about such as the PayPal purchases these always seem a bit lame

They were all replies to ancient threads, but the one I opened was at least relevant to the subject, i.e. gemstones. Had they stuck to one or two, they might have been accepted.

So, going back to my question - why don't we pay a very small fee, as surely this would eradicate all the spammers ?
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    So, going back to my question - why don't we pay a very small fee, as surely this would eradicate all the spammers ?
    That's not what forums are about

Quite apart from putting off huge numbers of visitors, the administration involved would be mind-bogglingly complicated - and that's before you start thinking about international conversions, taxes, databases and more.

Spammers are a way of life on most forums - I think Peter does a fantastic job of keeping them under control, single handed now for many years since all our other mods and admins fell by the wayside, and whilst I'd happily contribute to a thank you to him for that at a personal level, Cookson's already get most of my money...

Even if we proposed using SpamOff it would take months of health and safety checks before we got permission.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    That's not what forums are about
    Some are, some ask for a payment for upkeep in return for increased features (access to sales, that kind of thing).
    Remembering that this is Cooksons' forum, and they call the shots - the primary purpose is for its customers to use.