Thread: Plaid brooch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Plaid brooch

I have a commision for one of these. It's going to be clan cameron hence the oak leaf. I was wondering of I can get away with buying a rectangular strip if silver say 1.5 - 2.0mm thick and bending it on the thin edge to get the hoop. If I were to buy a sheet of 1.5mm silver it would be costly. Also does anyone have an idea of thickness for the pin?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210828_155607_compress57.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	13181
    Last edited by Sheen; 29-08-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Can you not buy wire, all sorts of shapes and thicknesses? A bit more of a challenge to round the wide edge on the top but not impossible although it’s much easier to do from a long piece rather than the piece of size

Why not make it in copper Sheena, with the varieties of copper and silver that Caroline suggested? That way you have an original to refer to, and can then make the final version in Silver. I know its twice the work, but you get to keep the copper version in case you wish to make something similar in future. ?
    Jules

Thanks Caroline, I do have a pepe heavy duty wire bender if I can keep the wire flat I'll try running it through that. Jules thanks for reminding me of the copper option. Every now and again I forget the obvious. Will definitly see if I can get some thick stuff to play with first. Luckily I have lots of thick round copper wire to see what might be suitable for a pin.

I usually just curve it and then flatten with the hide mallet. A nice bit of oak cut in the correct grain for strength would be a nice touch for the pin. If you know a woodturner you could get one turned or a thin strip cut if you wanted to shape a flatter one. I have one in tortoiseshell for my hair

When I made mine for a class project, it was entirely twisted and forged from hefty square and round wire.

It needed frequent annealing.

The pin was made separately and slipped on before flattening the ends of the open circle with a smooth hammer.

In your case you could fashion the emblem, and solder it onto the curled head of the pin, before threading it onto the brooch. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sp4 Penanular Brooch.jpg   Sp5-Penanular Brooch.jpg   Sp6 Reverse.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 29-08-2021 at 08:08 PM.