Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Total greenhorn, be gentle

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball Matt View Post
    I was hoping to use a scrap piece leftover from the previously mentioned bow project, it's a three part piece with rosegum and jatoba with a black veneer in between. Truth be told I don't rightly care if the outcome will last forever I just want to see if I can combine different materials (but of course taking advice and criticism as most of the time you don't learn by talking but when you shut up and listen)

I also have a few planks of Jarrah tree which is super duper dense and heavy like heck, and has a beautiful red color but haven't used it much for anything as it weighs a TON. On sth as small as jewellery I don't think the weight will be much of an issue.
    I don’t know about the other 2 woods but the veneer wouldn’t stand a chance . I’ve used quite a lot of wood in the past, if you click on the link to my fb page there is a lignum pendant near the top in one of its many variations of colour. Wood is a really lovely addition to any item of jewellery except a ring I think unless you’re going to keep it dry and not abuse it in any way! It’s always good to mix things up with materials but I need it to be practical so it depends whether you just want to make jewellery for the sake of it or whether you want someone to really enjoy wearing your creations which is what I know drives me on. No point if it’s only me who likes it

I'm watching this thread with interest, as I have a few pieces that belonged to my uncle, who loved creating things in wood.

That is a fabulous pendant Caroline and a lovely way to show off the wood and your silversmithing to perfection!
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I'm watching this thread with interest, as I have a few pieces that belonged to my uncle, who loved creating things in wood.

That is a fabulous pendant Caroline and a lovely way to show off the wood and your silversmithing to perfection!
    Thanks Jules. They used to be popular as an everyday pendant as the wood is really tactile. It’s gone out of fashion so that has had some finessing to hopefully send it on its way!

Lol I've been known to do projects before just to see if I can but as said open to comments if someone can, through experience, say sth won't last or is a bad idea. To answer previous posts, most tools I already had but been making some minor purchases lately, I'll take a few pics in the garage later tonight once I get Beavis&Butthead to stay in bed.

Right, a few pics as promised:

One of the few remaining bracelets I made some twenty years ago as a teen.

The tools I currently own. The tapered rod that looks like an adult toy is actually a motorbike driveshaft I hand tapered once to have a go at making coin rings with moderate success actually.

The idea for the wood/silver ring. Cut the wood in half along the line then do a sandwich with glue then remove excess wood until a D-shape profile is acquired. Won't last? What if I'd drill holes through the whole thing and glue wires at four to eight places? Gonna be fiddly holes though as I don't have a bench drill.
    Note that the ring on the wood is just cheap ebay ring, something I happened to have at hand for demonstration purposes.

Oh: and another thing I completely forgot from the intro post! I wish to teach myself how to do carvings on rings and such. Nothing too elaborate, something like viking runes etc for starters then possibly something more advanced once I get that on the way.
    Last edited by Oddball Matt; 27-08-2021 at 08:53 PM.

The tools you might need are pictured in the book I suggested, but what stands out for me are a need for:

A 5" saw frame likeP4800 https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ad...mes?code=P4800
    and some Vallorbe blades for metal and wood, say 2/0 0/2 and 0/4.

and a fancy screw-on bench peg such as B461 139 https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bench-pegs.

You will also need to consider a motor. Beginners usually choose Dremels, but they are not cheap , burn out quickly and run much too fast for jewellery. Dennis.

So it's called a bench peg... Such a simple wooden piece will pose no difficulty for me to make myself, planning to make one from the previously mentioned Jarrah tree as it's super dense and dark red so should make a good contrast against silver making it easier to see. I also have a cheap parkside rotary which is close to dremels in performance, lacking torque and trying to make up for it by spinning a million revs. Would you prefer a Proxxon over a Dremel? All the others seem to be identical copies of the one I have just been slapped with a different brand sticker on the side. The saw is something I'm planning to also upgrade, that one I happened to already have from a previous project.

No don't go for any of those. They cost a lot and waste your money. Shop around for a pendant motor. Speed will blue your burrs and drills and render them useless.
    You want something that goes down to about 1,000rpm, but still has adequate torque.
    Last edited by Dennis; 28-08-2021 at 07:00 PM.

Many thanks for this valuable info. The tool in question does not seem to have a Finnish name, or at least not one I can think of. The only one I can find locally is the Dremel Fortiflex 9100-21 and that's 270€. Might need to order online (then again it's a dremel, opposed to some ebay/banggood cheapy, and if I order outside of the country I can't deduce VAT through my company LOL) Need to have a think about that, not something I'll need right away but been thinking about upgrading the parkside anyway, need to do some research on this.

Perhaps its because you are not searching pendant motor for jewellers. The alternative name is flexshaft. Dennis.