Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Total greenhorn, be gentle

THIS is why I love forums! Through foredom I was able to find the correct term what they are called in Finnish! I`m seeing JSB, Foredom and OMEC, sadly the prices for those are between 400 and over 700 AND the Dremel comes with a plethora of burrs etc (and is easier to hide on the books of a small transport company than a jewelry engraver LOL). Might not be the best tool for this but probly still best suited for my needs as I tend to buy everything so that they have as many different uses as possible even if the tool in question may not be the professional`s choice for one spesific task, but the other uses make it more usable for me.

A Foredom has many uses and not just for jewellery but I agree it’s top of the range in price although the prices you’re quoting seem very high. There are other pendant motors much more suitable than a dremel. It’s difficult to comment on other makes available to you in Finland, some of them may be acceptable and wide ranging in use but you asked what was best for jewellery making and a Foredom is what everyone aspires to owning and is trustworthy. We have all gone through endless will I won’t I buy. If you can cope with the noise and the vibration that will probably eventually give you repetitive strain injury and it’s all you can afford at least you know what the alternatives are

Just doing research for now not ordering anything just yet, all opinions welcomed. Yea the prices locally are crazy, I can get the exact same Foredom SR from GB for half the price that it costs here BUT when you add in shipping, import and taxes the price difference dwindles to a matter of personal taste. They`re trying to make ordering from abroad as hard and as expensive as possible here so folks would favor the domestic market but especially on the niche stuff like this the local prices are just insane. LOL RSI is a long term friend already, as said I`m a transport entrepreneur, spent a decade at the helm of a delivery lorry (currently delivering mail with a van) and have done well over a hundred removals which effed up my wrists, the left one never fully healed and acts up pretty easily. Might get the Dremel locally or wait for a while til I can order a Foredom as a private consumer from abroad, been watching review videos since the last post and can`t really see what one could do that the other cannot.

Having read this thread, I would suggest you start with a few simple jewellery making tasks, or follow some online tutorials before embarking on purchasing expensive equipment. Its all too easy to think you need lots of tools when you first start out, but just having a go at making things is the best way to find out. Mistakes are a good thing, as you learn from them!

Looking at the amount of DIY stores available in Finland, I'm sure you can find something, or modify a tool to suit your needs. https://www.finlandforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=51282
    Jules

Petal I fully agree. That's what I'm planning, and have been doing so far, the pendant motor is just something I've been planning to buy for a good while now (well, to be exact trying to come up with a good enough excuse to update my handheld rotary so now that I know about these might as well kill two birds with one stone. Most of the tools you see in the previous pictures I already had, and as said been watching the youtube channel At The Bench by Andrew Berry. While it can never substitute a face to face instructor I've found the videos so far quite helpful.

Made this today. My golly that Jarrah tree is HARD! Worked up a proper sweat sawing that thing by hand, also polishes with very little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball Matt View Post
    Petal I fully agree. That's what I'm planning, and have been doing so far, the pendant motor is just something I've been planning to buy for a good while now (well, to be exact trying to come up with a good enough excuse to update my handheld rotary so now that I know about these might as well kill two birds with one stone. Most of the tools you see in the previous pictures I already had, and as said been watching the youtube channel At The Bench by Andrew Berry. While it can never substitute a face to face instructor I've found the videos so far quite helpful.

Made this today. My golly that Jarrah tree is HARD! Worked up a proper sweat sawing that thing by hand, also polishes with very little effort.
    Looks lovely but they usually come unfinished as they are cut and sawn into until they look like a dogs dinner!
    My new one isn’t war torn yet so not as workable as it could be. I’d never want to spoil yours.

LOL no worries well aware it`s something that will wear out, I didn`t polish it for appearances sake it was more like having finished the sawing I looked at the cut and went hmm that`s unusally smooth wonder how well it finishes and spent like ten minutes orbital sanding and polishing it with a rag disc since I happened to have both available. I still have enough Jarrah planks left to make at least five new ones so not gonna run out anytime soon. Anyway just spent a fun evening crunching numbers and looks like I`ll be facing an extremely shoestring-y month so there might be a bit of a hiatus in my postings but that does not mean I won`t be out there studying and hopefully practicing. Til next time, toodles!