Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voiceless delft clay video

Default Voiceless delft clay video

Hi all,
    I hope you’re not getting fed up with me posting about my videos here… but it’s great to get some of your valued opinions on what I’m doing…

Is this minimalist voiceless video still reasonably comprehendible? It’s the sort of video that you can just turn the sound off if the music is not to your taste….. and I hope there is no spelling mistakes!!!

https://youtu.be/3vICDj69UJo

Thanks … Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 26-08-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks Nick. That was a great video. I feel a buying of gear spree coming on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks David,
    Delft clay can seem expensive but it’s well worth the cost for the hours of pleasure it can bring….. N

Being lazy, wouldn’t mind a suggested shopping list. I don’t have any “casting” basics at all….I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the absolute basics needed with cooksongold part numbers…

Delft clay 9991087

Borax powder 998116

Scorifier 999akp

Tongs 999926

Not sure what to recommend for a flask, i’ve always made my own.
    I’ve use the aluminium ring variety but was rather unimpressed with their design….. overly tight fitting, can only be used with a horizontal split and alignment relies on you making two small marks lining up. However I’ve seen a lot of videos with people using these rings with great success.

If I was going to buy a flask to try it would be the cast Iron rectangle variety with 2 to 4 pin alignments.
    However as soon as It’s in the workshop I would probably cut the funnel shape off of the top.
    This would allow molten metal to be poured directly into a funnel that has been carved out of the clay.

A very large hot torch is needed to get everything up to temperature quickly.

Hope this helps …. Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 26-08-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks you are an A1 bloke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another excellent video thanks. I have a cast iron one with openings on the top and the side but can’t remember where I got it. I’m happy with spoken instructions on the video as sometimes it draws my attention to something I have not noticed.
    Good idea filling the back with wax for a smooth finish. Will try not to get in a tangle practicing the knot.
    Thanks again.

I get frustrated with spoken delivery - most of the time it's too slow.
    Like that. And I really should make up a flask like yours.

Thanks for your comments Kellz,
    The cast iron flasks look the best on the market, although I’ve not used one. Having an opening on the top and sides is a great advantage.
    Not like those funny aluminium rings.

This video was a lot easier being voiceless, I struggle with confidence doing voice overs….. probably more practice needed.

I love this blue wax its fabulous stuff, I use it for all sorts of things in different ways. Not sure what the other colours that are available are used for.

I’ve also been getting into a tangle practising knots trying to scale them down with fine wire.

All the best …Nick
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE08FBE2-A91F-4BC0-AAF6-FF639BAD826B.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	13179

Thanks Peter,
    A bit of a Catch-22 for me, either spelling mistakes and bad grammar or a moody sounding voice. Might try an artificial voiceover sometime.

I struggled with casting flasks at jewellery school until I made my own and got over the issues I had with them.

Would love to try casting gold but being a hobbyist it’s a bit thin on the ground or rather in the scrap pot. May need to head to Australia with a metal detector some day….. cheers…. Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 27-08-2021 at 09:33 AM.