Thread: Really simple (computer) how to do its!!

Default Really simple (computer) how to do its!!

I may be talking just for myself here...but I suspect not! An awful lot of you are computer boffins...or are young enough to have been born with a mouse in your hand....but I wouldn't mind guessing that there are an awful lot of older peeps on the forum for whom the computer is the enemy.

I certainly have problems learning how to do the stuf that most people seem to do without thinking about it...and if I don't use the newly acquired skill often I lose it.

Could we start a thread on which really simple 'how tos' are listed for everyone to refer to.....It may just end up being me that uses it - but hey!, I don't mind hogging a thread all to myself!

Only the other day Nic told me how to right click on an image to get the url for uploading (I don't know if that is actually what it does - but I'm sure you know what I mean!) But then I posted an image a few days ago using this technique that I knew was far too big but I didn't know how to make it smaller!!

My sons taught me how to reduce image size for stuff I have saved on my computer - so I can do that - but is there a way to reduce images easily from an external source??

Could we make this a thread where people can ask their computer based forum problems and get simple step by step instructions from those of you who are 'in the know'? Then it would be available all the time ...for me...and anyone else who is not sure what they are doing. And if the posts within the thread have a relevant title added it would be easier to find the answers in a long thread.

There are lots of little symbols and headings all over the forum that I haven't a clue what they are for... And I know a lot of questions have been answered mid thread in the past and are now lost for ever in the system...so what about gathering them all in one place??

Since it is so slow this morning...get your thinking caps on and start typing!! You could start by helping me to reduce externally sourced image sizes!!

Good morning. I'm one of the older computer users, but I got one when home computers first surfaced as easily available and work on them daily, so am pretty savvy, so would be happy to help where I can. I'm obviously still on holiday, so only popping in occasionally (very bad weather this morning, so had a lie in) until I'm home, but I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Default Reducing an Image Size

Okay, Bee.

When you find a computer image you'd like to use (I'm not going into copyright issues here LOL):

1. Right click on the image.
    2. You will get a menu of options the third one down of which reads 'save image as.' Select that option
    3. A window link to your images file will open. Save the image in there somewhere.
    4. I use folders in my image files to make it easier to find pics later
    5. Now, open your picture files and select the picture you just saved
    6. If you know how to resize your own images, just follow your normal procedure.

Does that help a bit?

Also, this is a good idea for a thread and I suggest you sticky it (and, no, I'm not being rude here )
    Di x

There are a couple of fab little tools for instant picture resizing once you've got them on your own pc.

For Windows XP, use Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP the download file's fifth from the end on the right hand bar

for Vista, I like Photo Gadget - free image resizer for Windows - make your pictures smaller easy - XemiComputers

Once you've installed the relevant one for your operating system, just find the file and right click it. There will now be a resizing option there to allow you to resize to a selection of common sizes, or to a custom size if you prefer. Far easier than having to open in a separate programme, resize and resave.

Great info girls!! Thank you. I'm glad you think the thread has potential to help. And Di, erm...I'd love to sticky it!! ...but you need to tell me how first!!!

stickied. When you are in a thread (not in a post, just the thread) you will see a toolbar at the top which gives you a 'thread tools' option. Stickies is in there.
    Di x

How much I agree with you. Not being a boffin with all the geek qualities I struggle with what some of the statements and or words actually mean and what the difference is and how to do things so simple for other for example reducing the resolution of your picture and the put in URL form? What ever that is.
    Therefore why is there not a set of published LOGICAL instructions in language that I can understand?
    Peter

Please define the difference between thread and post in this context and what stickies actually do.
    A Logical and detailed instruction manual would help

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
    Please define the difference between thread and post in this context and what stickies actually do.
    The former I already have. As for stickies, they prevent newer threads causing them to scroll down (in date order) so that they always appear above the newest.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/help