Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginners delft clay casting part 2

Default Beginners delft clay casting part 2

I’ve finally got part 2 of my video finished…. With lots of voice over torment…. Hope I don’t sound too mournful this time….
    Maybe one of those silent videos with music and text over would be a lot easier next time.

Just started using lumafusion app for editing so text overs would be a lot more straightforward.

This is part 1….
    https://youtu.be/VAoE6e5FjLc

This is part 2….
    https://youtu.be/yjve_piUha8

Thanks for any feedback….. Nick

great video really enjoyed watching

Glad you enjoyed watching…. Simple stuff Delft clay …. Nothing up to your standards…. your octopus ring is fantastic…. Nick

Just clicked on the link to watch part two on my iPad. Sound is fine but I have no pictures. Any ideas?

I notice you didn't cut channels for the air to escape which is what I've seen in every other delft clay video. Are they unnecessary then or was there a reason why you didn't?

I'm also intrigued by your request for alternative uses of a pendulum. What do you use one for? I saw a woman in Waitrose the other day using a pendulum to dowse the peaches

Perfect video 2. The obvious use as many viewers will probably note is for the end of a plumb line.

A number of them, suspended in a row from a frame, could make a 'perpetual motion' desk toy, also known a a clacker, very popular in gift shops in the 1960s, but using metal balls. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-08-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Hi Kellz,
    Just tried those links, seem to be working fine on my iPad, not sure what happens for other people,
    Here’s a link to my channel you might be able to view it from there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...rf9BHtKU4lFUhQ

Hope that works… Nick

Hi Caro,
    I don’t always cut air channels, if I have a large diameter fill hole, vents are not needed and doing so can sometimes irreversibly damage your perfectly formed cavity and leave lots to clean up after casting.
    Don’t mean to waffle on… but it’s a bit like …. If you want to fill an empty washing up liquid bottle with water, You can’t easily do it through the tiny spout, you get airlocks. Whereas if you pull the whole cap off, the water will enter down the side of the hole and the air will release at the same time.

Sometimes before pouring I sit my flask on slight tilt to allow the molten metal to enter the hole down its side….. Hope this makes sense…

Well I’ve heard it all now … dowsing peaches…. Maybe fruit in Waitrose has a higher vibration…. Or maybe she was testing whether they were worth the money… without taking a bite.
    Or maybe testing whether she was allergic to them…… Pendulums are sometimes used for Divination…. A bit like divining rods for water…. I occasionally use one to help with a situation or dilemma that I’m stuck on that is unclear or undecided. ….. The reason to mention it on the video …. was simply to encourage comments on my channel which can really help with YouTube….. thanks… all the best …Nick

Hi Dennis,
    Some people use the name plumbob in the building trade…. supposedly Egyptians used them to build pyramids.. I had one of those desk toys and knew it as a Newtons cradle.
    One last thing….. have you seen a “pendulum wave” A mesmerising affect that occurs with lots of pendulum swinging at the same time on varying lengths of string.
    YouTube has lots of examples of this….. cheers…. Nick

Ah yes, I remember it now: Newtons Cradle.
    He used those metal balls when he ran out if apples. Regards, Dennis.