Thread: Hagerty Leather Care Cream

Default Hagerty Leather Care Cream

Anyone tried this product? https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...prcode-997-544
    I have a pair of shoes made by my great grandfather and wonder if it would be suitable?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210705_060701_983.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	13167

I’d make up some saddle soap, there will be recipes online somewhere. I have an old leather travelling trunk and it’s what I used to do. Of course now you can buy it readymade
    I wouldn’t use any old product for something that precious tbh. I’ve been watching the V&A prog but I may have missed leather!
    Last edited by CJ57; 11-08-2021 at 10:58 AM.

How wonderful to have something so special like that. I've seen Suzie Fletcher use saddle soap on The Repair Shop and would definitely be going down the route Caroline suggests of saddle soap. It looks very forgiving and seems to give such life back to things that have had a hard life from being dry for some time. Show us a pic when its all repaired.

So Caroline, did you repair leather in one of your previous lives ??
    Jules

Thanks Jules and Caroline, I shall investigate saddle soap

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    How wonderful to have something so special like that. I've seen Suzie Fletcher use saddle soap on The Repair Shop and would definitely be going down the route Caroline suggests of saddle soap. It looks very forgiving and seems to give such life back to things that have had a hard life from being dry for some time. Show us a pic when its all repaired.

So Caroline, did you repair leather in one of your previous lives ??
    Ha ha! Mum inherited an old trunk with the house. It went to Edinburgh with my sister when she went to Art College and it bears a terrible candle burn on the top. I can’t remember when Mum got it back but it was a bit poorly so I made saddle soap. They used to be worth a few hundred pounds and are now completely worthless! It’s still here but I haven’t looked after it for a long time:/
    I have a pair of 100 year old shoes as well, the leather is so soft but the soles and heels are so hard they must have been a nightmare to wear

I have been using a handed down home made Dubbin for as log as I can remember, will post the recipe if any one wants it.

I do love things with a bit of history to them.

Yes please Bob, to posting the Dubbin recipe.
    Jules

6parts Lard, 3parts Beeswax, 1part Cod liver oil, or (1Kg-600g Lard, 300g Beeswax, 100g Cod liver oil)
    Melt wax in double boiler, add Beeswax and melt together, add Cod liver oil, mix until all is combined, pour into containers and allow to set.
    Double boiler can just be a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
    Quantities can be reduced or increased as required, I converted the the amounts to metric years ago and must have got it right as it is just the same.