Thread: Protecting Original Patina.

Default Protecting Original Patina.

Hello again all, If possible I'd like some advice on how I might tackle this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oxide.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	13158

The above is my attempt at using an ancient copper coin in a piece of jewellery.
    While going about things as I normally would, (Soldering, Pickling etc) I caused damage to the original patina.

I had read that putting anything copper into your pickling solution was a bad idea, so I tried to make a string mount to submerge it, (Copper coin to the top, untouched ideally) but I then promptly dropped the whole thing into the pickling solution.
    That was an obvious error. I think that lead to the blueish oxidisation you can see,.

But I also found that even soldering around it really changed the surface patina of the coin, and I'm not sure how I would avoid that.

So, the question I have is this:
    Is there anything I can do to fully protect the coin while working around it. Is there anything I could cover it with that won't effect the surface?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

First of all there is no problem with Copper in pickle most of us use Copper tongs, it is steel you don't want.
    I would make the ring and finish/polish, fit the coin last, carefully burnishing the edge over, with a highly polished burnisher.

As Bob suggests. If you’ve already had the coin through all those processes though you’ll have taken off the original patina which gave the coin it’s charm. You’ll now have to either patinate once set or allow it to patinate naturally over time

I have to add that I like the Verdigris effect a lot - I'd be looking to replicate it rather than lose it!

So much to learn! I love it.

For some reason, It never occurred to me to treat the coin like a cabochon. I saw copper, and silver and soldered them together.
    The whole point was to treat the coin and all its glorious age with respect, so this has been very helpful for me.

I can't thank you all enough.