Thread: Foredom motors: SR vs LX

Default Foredom motors: SR vs LX

Having battled with a Dremel for a while, I'm thinking of investing in a Foredom motor.
    I understand the SR goes to 18,000 rpm, and the LX to 5,000 rpm.

From my research so far, the consensus seems to be: "if you're not sure, most people go for the SR".

However, isn't 18,000 rpm way too fast for most jewellery work? I would have thought 5,000 rpm is plenty for drills, burrs, and so on? Hence I'm leaning towards the LX.
    So why does everyone go for the SR instead of the LX?

Can the SR be controlled at slow speeds too, for burr and setting work? If so, what's the point in the LX?

I would love to hear opinions on all this. Many thanks!

You don't *have* to stand on the pedal...

The LX is generally better for low-speed work with burrs; not really fast enough for using polishing mops or rubber abrasives - the latter kind of work, but you'll be there a while.

As Peter said you don't have to run at top speed, I have two SR's one is pretty well permanently fitted with a Hammer handpiece I have never destroyed it buy over revving, you just need to learn control, speed with flex shafts is only approximate it does
    not have to "dead on" only close. to answer you question So why does everyone go for the SR instead of the LX? because if you want the high speed (and you will) you have it in reserve.

I’ll only reply to this in terms of controlling the foot pedal but if you can control a sewing machine foot pedal then you can control a Foredom!
    I have a micromotor that has both so otherwise can’t comment