Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldering embellishment before or after bending

Yes, I found making the knot quite a trial. I now have to admit that I got up this morning with one object in mind……make it. I opted in the end to solder both flat the bend. I am not disappointed with the result but yes, less solder and flattening from the back would have all contributed to a better final product. However at the end of the day….a lot learnt and at the same time not a disaster! I add that I had just finished polishing when I saw your last post! Too late to go back on this one , but in the memory bank for the next! Thanks for your and Caroline’s advice and ideas. Final photos to be attached…I hope!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No comments from my usual gurus! It wasn’t that bad ,was it?

No not bad but it would have been possible to remove some of the excess solder before soldering the 2 together, to give the knot more definition. As I keep on telling my OH when he’s enamelling on fold form it’s all about the prep.
    You could still take some wet and dry to the accessible areas that look a little lumpy in the photo but perhaps aren’t as obvious to the naked eye! Perhaps a needle file up the centre channel to define the 2 wires. It’s easier to do earlier in the process compared to the time spent on the finished product
    I’m off to do a bit of refinishing to the pieces back from the exhibition as the camera isn’t a friend to little flecks of firestain. Once the camera doesn’t pick it up I’ll be happy

Yes I think I will do a bit more “housework” on it especially the channel between the two . As you say the camera isn’t a very good friend, but now I look more critically I see exactly what you mean. Thanks for your observations and advice.
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Yes I think I will do a bit more “housework” on it especially the channel between the two . As you say the camera isn’t a very good friend, but now I look more critically I see exactly what you mean. Thanks for your observations and advice.

David.

Maybe the camera is a better friend than we think, if it shows up the flaws and imperfection then we can choose to ignore them as most others don’t see them or we can perfect as many as we can therefore making our work better and improving our skills. Apart from finishing its better to deal with them at each stage of the work as the time wasted at the end is a waste of working time

Gosh that was profound, must have been the shiatsu
    Last edited by CJ57; 12-08-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Well I didn't want to grumble any more, after you decided to use what you had this time round, David.

It did occur to me for next time that:
    If you could solder the stems of the loops, and curve them, then before combining the two into a knot, a saw blade would quickly re-define the groove. That curve would give you easy access. Dennis.

Well that was another reason Dennis. You and I could turn into the odd couple!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well I didn't want to grumble any more, after you decided to use what you had this time round, David.

It did occur to me for next time that:
    If you could solder the stems of the loops, and curve them, then before combining the two into a knot, a saw blade would quickly re-define the groove. That curve would give you easy access. Dennis.
    Wouldn’t call it a grumble….a constructive criticism / guidance more like! As I said I had chosen the solder flat then bend before I saw your comment.