Thread: Extra deep cabochon

Default Extra deep cabochon

Hello, I have been given a cabochon carnelian: flat on both sides, oval, which is just over 7mm deep. To make a rub-over bezel setting I would need bezel strip at least 8mm deep, but I can only find 7mm in the UK. I don't have a rolling mill, so can't thin the silver I have. Could anyone suggest an alternative? I think that claw setting would look odd on such a big stone. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Just buy a piece of fine silver sheet cut to the width and length you want. By far the easiest way to buy bezel strips, and lets you choose your preferred gauge as well - I think most of us would recommend at least 0.4mm rather than the standard rather weedy 0.3mm offered for ready made strip.

And sorry Sandie - just saw it was you - hope you're well

Yes, also one of the problems with very deep bezels, is that the display of metal can be quite ugly. So you might consider breaking up the edge by cutting regular scallops into it with a file, or cylinder burr.
    This will give a lighter look and make setting much easier too. Dennis.

Thank you, George. I'll do that. As it's flat on the top as well as the bottom (not domed), should I still rub-over in the usual way?

Ooh, that sounds good. Thank you, Dennis. It's so kind of you and George to share your expertise with someone who remains a beginner after several years (I just make for me and the occasional friend, so not often).

If the fit is good, as the stone is opaque, a tiny amount of gel superglue can hold it in without setting. But beware this glue sets at once, so it is not re-positionable. Dennis'

I would be inclined to agree with Dennis. Put a little bit of a bevel on the outer edge for appearance, and glue in place, which will look much neater than a rubover on a flat top.

Thank you both so much.