Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New bench

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Ah the old chair leather wasn't big enough in the end so I bought Durston's bench apron from cookson. I'm rather pleased with it, though I might need to adjust it a little as I don't think I've quite got it hanging right yet. I'm still waiting on a filing cabinet from IKEA. They have a terrible delivery service so whether I'll ever get one is debatable. I'm not soldering on the bench, still doing that in the kitchen where there's less soft furnishings to set alit. I don't need to go through the back of the wardrobe. Just sitting in there transports me to another world. One filled with silver and gemstones
    That’s a brilliant idea. I have one of those and have always found it really uncomfortable to wear. I need to raise the front of my skin. It’s only taken me 20 years to realise I need to remove the tack and lift it up so that things don’t roll out!
    My IKEA drawers came from Ireland in a couple of weeks , I really wouldn’t go past them. Mike put 3 in the shed too.
    Maybe the joiner put in a Narnia door, have you looked underneath

Turned out well, it won't be long until you need another wardrobe, then another and then another, I never seem to have enough space.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Turned
    out well, it won't be long until you need another wardrobe, then another and then another, I never seem to have enough space.
    How true is that. I’m not meticulously tidy once I get started because I usually have about 6 pieces on the go at one time. Never enough bench space so this will be challenging but lovely to have a bespoke space

I would love to have another desk. I think two desks is the ultimate luxury particularly if you're wax carving. I have a few projects on the go too but I found having a couple of dedicated drawers to put unfinished work, in my collectors chest, works brilliantly for me. I open it all the time see what I have and pick out whatever i fancy that day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210813_174201_compress82.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	13173
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210813_174210_compress96.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	13174
    Last edited by Sheen; 13-08-2021 at 07:45 PM.

That’s a nice set of drawers. I’d have nowhere for it to go in the workshop so it would have to go in the house somewhere

Wow, those drawers are lovely Sheena, but they must have cost a fortune, or were they a bargain in a flea shop?

They definitely wouldn't fit in my new workshop - its only 7x4, so once my bench goes in it will be snug.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Wow, those drawers are lovely Sheena, but they must have cost a fortune, or were they a bargain in a flea shop?

They definitely wouldn't fit in my new workshop - its only 7x4, so once my bench goes in it will be snug.
    They came from a fishing/shooting shop that was closing down. They kept their fishing flys in it. It was absolutely filthy and had foam stuck to the insides of the drawers. So it took a while to get it into a fit state but I love it now. The first three drawers are for finished jewellery, two for work in progress the rest are my supplies of beads, cabs, silver, paracord, ribbon etc. I love how I can see what I have at a glance. Good luck with the new space, Jules.

They look almost like plan drawers, although they may be a bit small for that. Nice either way.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    They look almost like plan drawers, although they may be a bit small for that. Nice either way.
    They’d be about twice as deep. I saw a few architects flats when I was at Art College and as well as mezzanine floors in huge rooms they also had built some sort of plans drawers which often doubled as coffee table. Oh those were the days!
    Love these drawers though, it’s rare shop furniture comes up anymore though.
    Last edited by CJ57; 16-08-2021 at 02:04 PM.

We had drawers for A0 for engineering drawings (CAD is so much easier to fit), but I've seen smaller ones - just can't remember how much smaller. We stuck the A1 & A2 drawings in A0 drawers, that much I remmeber. BS308...