Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New delft clay vid

Default New delft clay vid

Hi all,
    I was not sure if I should upload part 1 of a 2 part video before finishing the second half (part 2).
    However it’s taken so long to finish I thought I would upload it anyway, hopefully giving me the incentive to get on with part 2.
    It’s probably a bit basic for most people on here, but if you have the time about 11 minutes to watch it and give me any feedback,
    I would be grateful for your expertise.

Here’s a link to the video…
    https://youtu.be/VAoE6e5FjLc

Thanks for your support….. Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 01-08-2021 at 07:37 PM.

I really enjoyed that - some great ideas for casting. I do have a kit but it's put aside "for later". I am very tempted to melt down a few of my 1977 Jubilee pendants now. I never liked them and never wear them and this would be a good way of using the silver.

Looking forward to Part 2

Thanks Caro,
    Nice to have a stash of silver you can melt down, one of the problems with casting is that you can get through a lot of it. That’s why i now like using bronze, it helps keep the cost down of a enjoyable technique. Keeping my designs down to minimal size is the main challenge as not not gobble up the silver so quick. …. Have fun… Nick

Caro,
    I hope your jubilee pendants aren’t worth a fortune, Sterling silver casting grain it’s only 80p a gram at the moment….. just a thought……Nick

Good, clear video. Look forward to part two. Not done any casting for a while but might have another go with my scrap silver.��

Thanks Kellz,
    Yes, good use for scrap silver, until you get to the bottom of the pot and then want more, end up scrapping allsorts of good stuff.
    must get on with part two, I forgot it’s not good people waiting…… all the best …. Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    Caro,
    I hope your jubilee pendants aren’t worth a fortune, Sterling silver casting grain it’s only 80p a gram at the moment….. just a thought……Nick
    Scrap value only on eBay. They were made in huge quantities. I was given 3!

Transforming them into something you can love and where Will be well worth the effort… Nick

Dear Nick,

I thoroughly enjoyed your new video, but then I am always happy to watch others work. Joking apart, it was packed with information and lacking in waffle as always.

Your voice-over sounded a little mournful, as if it was not the best of days for you.

Also it is sad that for those of us not in a position to make our own casting flask I could not find any available commercially with lugs.

Dennis.

Hi Dennis thanks for your feedback,
    Having confidence in my voice is one of the hardest things about this process, i could look more into using a synthesised voice but previously have found they still sound a bit artificial.
    Maybe recording at 2am in the morning when the house is quiet doesn’t help.
    I could also try a couple of gin and tonic‘s before recording next time, that might make me sound a bit more cheerful.
    Probably need to get some feedback from somewhere before finishing and uploading my videos.

Seen a few different mini casting flasks on the market, they all have their own pros and cons, If I was going to buy one it would be the rectangular shaped with a funnel on top although it would be a mistake to allow your molten metal to run down the inside of the funnel, it needs to be lined with clay.

Thought about making a video on how to make a casting flask with only an angle grinder and drill…. Another one to the list of possibilities.

Thanks and all the best to you… Nick