Thread: Delft Casting - maximum pattern size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Delft Casting - maximum pattern size

Hi. I'm new to the forum having come back - and thoroughly enjoying - silver work from about 40 years ago. Some things haven't changed at all but there's lots that has and it's been good updating my technique.

I want to do some casting and have done a bit with cuttle fish which worked out alright and I've now got a delft casting ring and clay. I've studied what's available on YouTube and I'm getting ready to give it a try. What I haven't been able to find anywhere is the amount of clay I need to leave between the wall of the ring and my pattern. I know I should start with something small until I get my technique right (and will!) but is there a recommended minimum depth of clay between the ring wall and the pattern piece?

I've been through the casting thread back to 2014 and found lots that has been very helpful but couldn't cover this. Any thoughts anyone?

Hi philip
    If I was casting a pattern that was large for a flask I would hope to be able to leave about 5mm of clay before the wall even 3mm at a push, as long as you get a tight pack and a good seal and the clay stays in place when opening. The clay may burn and blacken all the way to the wall but this shouldn’t be a problem. …. I love delft clay …. I’m in the middle of producing another delft clay video at the moment …… Good luck with it… Nick

This was my first delft clay short vid…
    https://youtu.be/6W6Aqv_wKfY

Thanks Nick that's helpful and just what I needed to know. I did reply earlier but I'm new to the forum and seem to have managed to cods it up!

I am not new, but I still get lost and go round in circles! You are not without others!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk