Thread: Best eye screws

Default Best eye screws

My 12 year old with a passion for making jewellery has invested her birthday money in a little drill for drilling into plastic/resin so that she can make add eyes (for necklaces/earrings etc). All is good, except that when she goes to screw the eyes into the plastic they keep snapping when they are almost in which invariably ruins the thing she is screwing them into because you then can't extract the broken screw. Can anyone advise on good quality eye screw (about 4mm) which won't snap? I know that eye screws are cheap and readily available on the internet, but are there any which aren't weak and brittle?

Hole is most likely too small go up a size, Personally I would drill the hole so the thread just fits and glue it in with a 5 min epoxy or a gel type super glue ( appropriate supervision would be applicable )

Silver plated screw eyes are pretty and the shine lasts quite well, however they are prone to snap off if they are a tight fit when screwed in.
    So as Bob has said, it will be better to have them barely gripping, and dip the thread in a smidgen of glue before screwing home.

Gel superglue is OK if you can trust your daughter not to make a fuss when her fingers get stuck together. Otherwise any solvent free glue intended for hard plastics will do.

Here are some screw eyes from Etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/silver_screw_eye.

Why not encourage your daughter to ask her own questions, and post her work in Show and Tell? She's sure to get a friendly response

During my acrylic phase I have made lots of necklaces with screw eyes interlinked, or linked with chain as in the picture below. You will find more in my album. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BI1 Black and Ivory Necklace.jpg  

A good website for young jewellery makers is beadsdirect.co.uk it has a good mix of things to get you started

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Hole is most likely too small go up a size, Personally I would drill the hole so the thread just fits and glue it in with a 5 min epoxy or a gel type super glue ( appropriate supervision would be applicable )
    Thanks, great advice, she did this and it worked.

Good advice, Thank you. She did use superglue. I supervised the first one but she's pretty handy and has managed to not stick her fingers together... yet!

Great to see it has been solved, also really good to see the young generation getting involved.