Thread: Hanging a pendant with no hole

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hanging a pendant with no hole

Evening everyone, any ideas how I can get a jumpring/ bail on this one? It's a piece of fossil coral in the shape of bamboo. I want to have a neat solution to hanging it vertically. I might even make the chain, as I think it needs something a little arty.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210715_201916_compress96.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	13136

I've sat in front of this picture for a while Sheena, and come to the conclusion that if I suggested you drill it and a bit fell away, it would be all my fault. There is already at least one visible crack.

Instead I would suggest you glue in place a pretty shape (heart, shield, clover leaf) that has a jump ring soldered on.
    It would have to be swaged (made half round like part of a tube) to fit, be attached to the back, and narrow enough not to show from the front.

The glue could be five minute Araldite, which comes in two parts you mix together. Dennis.

I think I'd go for an endcap (just a basic bezel) for the top, with a jump ring soldered to the top and just epoxy into place. For even more subtlety, you could just use a small disc (not too thin or it will look mean) and glue that in place, but it doesn't give you much of a gluing area in terms of hold.

I'd probably give it a little bit of a rounded lip to echo the bands.

Thanks Dennis and George. I'm going to try your option George but a might try drilling a top hole to peg it and make extra secure, as long as the stone isn't too hard to drill. That visible crack is stable Yesterday I was aralditing all my broken ornaments. Been sat looking at me for ages!

This is it so far. Made it this morning before breakie. I did add a very short peg (as that stuff is hard) now to decide whether i should just glue, or glue and set it. Maybe I should have made it out of sterling silver, oh well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210716_090648_compress82.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	13137
    Last edited by Sheen; 16-07-2021 at 08:42 AM.

No point in setting it, as it will be super secure just glued.
    In fact to my eye its a tad deep.
    You could also run a burnisher around the edge for a little shiny contrast.

Very nice, why the gum leaf?