Thread: Big Bezel Soldering Issue

Default Big Bezel Soldering Issue

Hi there,

I recently bought some 3cm long tear drop cabochons but have been struggling to solder the bezel to the plate and I can't figure out why, smaller bezels aren't an issue at all.
    I'm wondering if bigger bezels need a more powerful torch? I am currently using a micro torch, not very powerful, I think it's a creme brulee torch.

Thank you in advance if anyone has any advice or insight!

You are right Anne, the torch isn’t big enough. I’ve not found a brûlée torch much use for anything but soldering jump rings or balling wire ends

Yes Anne, bigger bezels are difficult, not only because they need more heat for the solder to flow on the back plate, but also because too much heat on the bezel strip will cause it to distort and spoil the fit.

If you are not in a position to upgrade to the whole shebang, a second torch like the one you have already could do the trick, used together one in each hand, and concentrating mostly on the backplate at first.

Other ways to reduce the heat required, is to cut a pear shaped hole in the backplate, leaving just a ledge for the stone to rest on,

Using easy solder,

And lastly using a larger refillable torch.

I have recently tried out this one from Cookson, with better results: https://www.cooksongold.com/category...fillable+torch Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes Anne, bigger bezels are difficult, not only because they need more heat for the solder to flow on the back plate, but also because too much heat on the bezel strip will cause it to distort and spoil the fit.

If you are not in a position to upgrade to the whole shebang, a second torch like the one you have already could do the trick, used together one in each hand, and concentrating mostly on the backplate at first.

Other ways to reduce the heat required, is to cut a pear shaped hole in the backplate, leaving just a ledge for the stone to rest on,

Using easy solder,

And lastly using a larger refillable torch.

I have recently tried out this one from Cookson, with better results: https://www.cooksongold.com/category...fillable+torch Dennis.
    Thanks very much, Dennis!
    The link took me to a page of many torches, I am not sure which one you are referring to?
    I am in South Africa and these are the affordable options currently at the store in my city:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.08.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	13134

(not sure why the image is so small)
    I have the one on the left, the micro, would the one on the right be sufficient? It is bigger I think, and more expensive, so I am guessing more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    You are right Anne, the torch isn’t big enough. I’ve not found a brûlée torch much use for anything but soldering jump rings or balling wire ends
    Thank you for your response! I am pleased to know it is not my soldering skills

Yes, that one looks bigger. Obviously not possible for me to pop over to see it, but you would still have the option to use the two together if needed:
    The big one in your left hand to heat up the base plate until barely glowing, and the small one to home in on the soldering area.
    That is one of my favourite methods, as it can be done with softer flames and avoids overheating the bezel wire. Dennis.

Yes, that one looks bigger. Obviously not possible for me to pop over to see it, but you would still have the option to use the two together if needed:
    The big one in your left hand to heat up the base plate until barely glowing, and the small one to home in on the soldering area.
    That is one of my favourite methods, as it can be done with softer flames and avoids overheating the bezel wire. Dennis.
    Thank you, you are so helpful, I am so glad I found this forum!

I bought that bigger torch in the images I showed and boy, it melted the solder evenly and fast! It's quite a powerful large flame that can't be adjusted, within almost no time it had also melted the bezel join and budged it open very very slightly which I've never had happen. I think I need a soldering tripod with longer legs because the furthest away I can use the flame is still too close maybe (when using underneath), I just read elsewhere that one can use graphite /soft pencil lead to protect solder seams? Anyways, I was just so glad to see that solder melt so easily and beautifully on a big bezel, FINALLY! Thanks again for your help.

If your new big torch has no means of closing the air hole, then you can still have more control by:

Not having the gas full on.

Keeping the flame moving at all times.

And working in a darkened area to see better when you are lingering and creating hot spots. Dennis.