Thread: Hallmarking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hallmarking

Can I send rings to the assay with a patina applied and stones set? I have a punch with them all ready to roll. Can I leave it up to them where they put the hallmark? I don't know where rings are normally hallmarked

Rings are normally marked above the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position, this way there is less wearing and will last longer also will not be removed if the ring is resized.

I wouldn't send set rings if I can help it. I usually clean the inside of the shank with a flappy sandpaper thingy on my pendant drill then a quick polish. get them stamped then finish the ring. They get bent up and scratched from the stamping

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I wouldn't send set rings if I can help it. I usually clean the inside of the shank with a flappy sandpaper thingy on my pendant drill then a quick polish. get them stamped then finish the ring. They get bent up and scratched from the stamping
    Bent up and scratched? Sounds terrible! eek!

I’ve never had that happen at Edinburgh tbh, but if you feel safer set when it comes back. I usually patina when they come back but then I don’t oxidise the mark usually and keep the backs of everything clean.If you read the blurb you have to mark where you want the mark. Are you doing your own or sending the punch in? I’m having to do a 24 hr turnaround as they have got unusually busy with businesses starting up again that I wouldn’t have got them back in time

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ve never had that happen at Edinburgh tbh, but if you feel safer set when it comes back. I usually patina when they come back but then I don’t oxidise the mark usually and keep the backs of everything clean.If you read the blurb you have to mark where you want the mark. Are you doing your own or sending the punch in? I’m having to do a 24 hr turnaround as they have got unusually busy with businesses starting up again that I wouldn’t have got them back in time
    They have my punch. I really am terrible at stamping. I'd prefer to send my rings finished with patina too as I find breaks in finishing hard to start up again. Though it may not be sensible they have blurb? I'll go and have a look, thanks Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Rings are normally marked above the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position, this way there is less wearing and will last longer also will not be removed if the ring is resized.
    Thanks china.