Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice yet again!

No, as far as I Know its my own invention, although there is nothing new under the sun, they say.

There's no video, but why not try it?

Filing a flat on one beak does not spoil them for other uses, if you keep the flat on the outside of any curve you make.

There is no need to make complete piece. Just prepare the end of some tubing for a cheap stone, including the bevel mentioned before. Apply the flat to one side at the level of the girdle, and use the round beak to slowly coax metal over the stone at compass points and then in between.

The action of the round beak is like pushing the metal over with a finger. The shinier the beaks have been polished, the smoother the result.

You can also practice finishing and polishing. Releasing the stone for re-use will waste very little metal. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 09-07-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have posted about this before, but without any enthusiastic response.

If you adapt some round nosed pliers, by filing a small flat on one beak, they will serve as setting pliers without any any great force needed.
    You rest the flat on one side, at the level of the girdle, and use the round side to gently persuade the edges to turn over, north/south east/west etc.

This is especially useful for fragile pieces.

Another useful aid, but not essential, is a collet closing tool, which will restore any deviation from roundness. Dennis
    Ah, I think I get this now Dennis. I don't about others, but sometimes written descriptions are much harder to understand than pictures. I'm definitely a pictures woman!

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a go when I'm next at the bench, but it won't be for a while, as in the middle of painting a new workshop.
    Jules

If you adapt some round nosed pliers, by filing a small flat on one beak, they will serve as setting pliers without any any great force needed.
    You rest the flat on one side, at the level of the girdle, and use the round side to gently persuade the edges to turn over, north/south east/west etc.

Another useful aid, but not essential, is a collet closing tool, which will restore any deviation from roundness. Dennis
    Thanks Dennis - sadly the stone I was fighting was too big for the setting tool.

When I've recovered I'll give your pliers a whirl.

Thanks for the tip

Yes. Thanks Dennis. I will certainly be “adapting” a pair of round nosed pliers and use them on my next project.
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you Dennis. Have modified a pair of round nosed pliers and revisited one particular “chenier” setting which has improved the setting no end. I then polished using the Eveflex cylinder as you recommended also burnishing following CJ57 ‘s advice. I have a habit of naming tools after the people who recommend them, so my work shop rack is a list of names!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Thank you Dennis. Have modified a pair of round nosed pliers and revisited one particular “chenier” setting which has improved the setting no end. I then polished using the Eveflex cylinder as you recommended also burnishing following CJ57 ‘s advice. I have a habit of naming tools after the people who recommend them, so my work shop rack is a list of names!

Oh not Sweet Caroline again! I never thought I’d dislike it so much on its resurgence!
    Last edited by CJ57; 11-07-2021 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Oh not Sweet Caroline again! I never thought I’d dislike it so much on its resurgence!
    Tell me about it.......

There's a reason I rarely use my name in full!

I didn’t mind it so much originally but sung by drunken football supporters is:/
    I’ve never been shortened to anything more interesting than Carol by family and Caroline when I was in trouble. Bit late now!

Well the alternative for me was Carrie which was actually my grandmother's name. I refused to answer to Caz!

Well I butchered an old pair of pliers and this is amazing! I had an early bezel set ring with an irritating bulge that I was totally unable to smooth out - 15 seconds with the setting pliers and it's gone. The ring is now actually wearable without irritating me.

Thank you Dennis - I'm a convert