Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice yet again!

Default Looking for advice yet again!

I am attempting to learn how to set stones, starting with tube settings. I have had problems “pushing” the silver over neatly to secure the stone as you can see in the photo. I had been advised not to tumble the item as this hardens the silver making it even more difficult to “mould”. Even so it was a struggle! Any advice or constructive criticism re the design of the ring etc will be most gratefully received! David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 05-07-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Yes David, that is everyone's problem.
    The secret is to file a knife edge bevel at the rim, keep it as short as you dare, have it as smooth as possible before you continue, and use a softer pusher made from brass to turn it over.

The final finish can be done with silicone points, such as this set:https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...prcode-970-426

You will also need a cheap diamond plate to run the points on for regular re-shaping

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-tech-E25...95348585&psc=1

Below, a similar ring, made for a project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project ring Mar.'12.jpg  

Default Looking for advice yet again!

Wow! Beautiful finish. Mind if I plagiarise? What supporting compound did you use….a clear silicone?
    David

Supporting Compound? No just held it. Dennis.

? cant see your fingers…Held in tweezers?

I just grip it tight! You can get a nice edge with a burnisher. It’s a great tool to have for general hand finishing anyway.
    I’ve used one like this since College and I’ve also found it good for keum boo
    https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...her&channel=uk

I’ve never used a tumbler but isn’t it usually said on here that it doesn’t work harden ?
    Last edited by CJ57; 05-07-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Tumblers don't really work harden, it's just a few microns of surfce metal if they do. It looks to me as though your setting was just a touch too deep, so the walls are pushed over the stone a little. other than that, great job, I have tube setting on my list but never seem to get around to doing it.

I've just done my first tube set too and horrible problems getting the stone to stay in. Sheer brute force in the end

I have posted about this before, but without any enthusiastic response.

If you adapt some round nosed pliers, by filing a small flat on one beak, they will serve as setting pliers without any any great force needed.
    You rest the flat on one side, at the level of the girdle, and use the round side to gently persuade the edges to turn over, north/south east/west etc.

This is especially useful for fragile pieces.

Another useful aid, but not essential, is a collet closing tool, which will restore any deviation from roundness. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pliers for tube setting.jpg   Collet Closing Set.jpg   Shs1 Short Chain With Red.jpg  

Would love to see the adapted round nosed pliers in action…..is there a video available anywhere? Not easy to envisage quite how you apply them.