Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: restoring Tin metal , what compounds should i get ?

Nice and shiny… the photo makes it look like a mirror on a wall …. Your comments make me think of chrome workers who use massive Buffing wheels to achieve there desired results……. Nick

Looking good

I have watched this thread for some time, and not joined in, because I don't really understand the objective.

If it is an exercise in polishing metal, then so be it, although if you go much further, the stamped design will be polished away.

If the object is to restore an old tin, then no offence intended, but you should have preserved its natural patina and just cleaned it with soap and water.

The high shine will not last long, without finally using a lacquer. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture tins2.jpg  

My understanding is the objective is to restore to original condition, yes now that the buffs will come into play take extra care not to "over buff" and remove the the defined edges also as I mentioned in a previous post some type of protection will be required to
    prevent rust

thanks for all the comments guys , theses Sepultura tins commonly rust or corrode over time being released in 1993. My objective is to buy one and restore it to it's former glory , i've wanted one since 1997.........also note taken on over buffing. China mentioned 'a fine wax' for preventing rust coming back , i still have to work on that as that will be the final step. I will post below a well aged tin versus mine when i first got it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02478 usm 90 1.0 4 sat 30 whte lev 247.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	13161

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w6xLlL.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	13162
    Last edited by einhander; 09-08-2021 at 09:18 PM.

If you go with a wax finish rather than a clear coat of some kind I recommend this https://www.ubeaut.com.au/trad.html, although a timber product it is comparable (if not better) to the more expensive Renaissance wax ,plus it is Aussie made

hi guys , update.......I got a bottle of Reflection. So I started compounding the top part of the tin box. When I was working on it I said to myself 'this isn't making an impact'

So I stopped and inspected. Scratches were still present from sanding , so I pressed harder (between light and medium force) and got better results with brown Tripoli. Even though I still have a small amount of scratches

I haven't gone any further with compounding I did just one line. I think I need Bobbing compound. What do you think ?

Also bobbing compound is hard to find but I have located a couple of stores that have a generic branded one. I was wondering if Luxor and Super Q have it in their range ?
    Last edited by einhander; 13-09-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Sorry for late response I have not been well, lot better now, bobbing compound is just another name for compounds you already have, if you have scratches from sanding that don't come out then you need to go to a finer paper
    before you start with compounds the scratches need to be not visible. to create a mirror type finish is a a long and painstaking task and there is no cheating along the way

hi china , it's great to hear from you and your doing better. I was wondering why you weren't posting much but that explains it. Roger that on everything you said , i have more understanding of what i need to do. Thank you again for taking the time in posting in my thread , you know i'm most grateful for your efforts.

hope you can improve more health wise in the weeks to come

hi everyone , I purchased from the Sandpaperman 8000 and 12,000 grit Micro Mesh. I tried them out and I'm not getting anywhere with them (no sanding impact)

They both are soft like leather , I'm thinking I should have bought the cardboard backing type

Correct me if I'm wrong..........