Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: restoring Tin metal , what compounds should i get ?

Default restoring Tin metal , what compounds should i get ?

hi members , i have recently bought a item while not being Jewelry or a Watch it still falls into a catagory where you could help. I got this item for $44 AUD and it usually goes around the
    $230 AUD mark i don't plan on selling it i want to keep it. What is it ?........it is a Sepultura Tin CD Boxset , i will leave some attachment photos below. Quite simply it's rare and i've wanted one for
    some time , so this opportunity has come up and i want to restore it to excellent condition.

ok so i have sanded it down (240 grit) and removed imperfections and now i need to remove sanding scratches and polish it to a shine. It's my first time so i need some gentle guidance ,
    also i have made a Labanda account for products i need.

btw i will be using a Drill and a Dremel (i don't have a bench grinder) , i have seen on ebay in the link below. I'm hoping this will work with Jewelers Buffing Wheels

i found a Drill attachment on ebay that might work , i can't post links yet but you can search ebay for 'Tapered Mandrel,drill Attachment,tapered Spindle For Polishing,Moping,puffing'

can anyone suggest where i should go from here ? ..........like what compounds i need for Tin , the order i should use each color etc......

i have attached some pics of what a excellent condition Tin looks like , and i have attached my before and after sanding.

any help is appreciated , chat soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails w6xLlL.jpg   BnuNZ7.jpg   Screenshot_4.jpg   DSC02478 usm 90 1.0 4 sat 30 whte lev 247.jpg   DSC02545 usm 90 1.0 4 sat 30 whte lev 247.jpg  

Next step sand to 400 then 600 then 1200 then 1500 then 2000 then polish with Tripoli then white rouge, then finish with a cream type polish such as Reflection, then spray with a automotive clear coat.
    You will need to run around the edge of the pattern also to remove any tiny amount of rust that may be present. I would purchase bench grinder and some decent mops, not some thing I would tackle with a Dremel type tool
    Last edited by china; 05-07-2021 at 02:00 PM.

hi china , thank you for chiming and helping me with my project. Ok i have ordered from Supercheap Auto the sandpaper grits you mentioned. I am having trouble finding a good quality Tripoli there's some to choose from but i don't know if any of them are good , so if anyone knows a good source in Australia that would help a lot. I can get from Labanda Dialux White which is perfect , they also have polishing wheels. If i'm correct i should buy a Yellow colored one for Tripoli as it holds the compound better than the regular white , is that correct ?.

I still want to use my drill as it's easy from me to use and safer than a bench grinder , i also found in the attachment below. I'm not sure which one i should go for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebay mandrel.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	13109

Name:	arbor amazon.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	13110
    Last edited by einhander; 07-07-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Caswell are a good source for metal polishing, or CJS for smaller quantities, I personally recommend CJS ideal with them all the time no affiliation just a satisfied customer. re polishing mops (wheels) start with a stitched calico Tripoli yellow or white not a great deal of difference, then a stitched Calico for rouge, finally a loose leaf Calico/ Swans down for the reflection or similar.
    Re the attachment the tapered one is more versatile, however as before I recommend bench grinder, with the tapered att.
    If you don't mind sharing in which state are you.

Wow excellent response you nailed it , much appreciated. Roger that on Caswell and CJS I will check them out. BTW I'm in Victoria

edit..............

should i wet sand when i get to a certain grit ?
    Last edited by einhander; 08-07-2021 at 12:02 PM.

I do not believe wet sanding would give much of an advantage in this situation.

ok i'm back after working on this. I got Supercheapauto sandpaper and worked on that last night , i also got a order from Labanda (wheels , brown tripoli , dialux white etc). The problem i'm facing atm is when i use the 2 compounds white brown , or brown white i am left with lines or scratches in the same way i move the wheel. I am using a piece of scrap tin metal for my tests

The metal should be void of any significant lines/scratches before you move onto compounds, use a different wheel for each compound removing the scratches from the previous compound as you you go.
    with each abrasive weather it be paper or compound move in the opposite direction each time, this allows you see when you have removed the scratches from the previous operation, by the time you progress to the Swans down and reflection it should already have a polish.
    Always go from course to fine this is one operation in which you can't cheat

The metal should be void of any significant lines/scratches before you move onto compounds
    roger that , got it and good to know

use a different wheel for each compound removing the scratches from the previous compound as you you go
    definitely , i picked that up from somewhere else. Still thanks for the confirm

with each abrasive weather it be paper or compound move in the opposite direction each time, this allows you see when you have removed the scratches from the previous operation, by the time you progress to the Swans down and reflection it should already have a polish.
    Always go from course to fine this is one operation in which you can't cheat
    got it i will keep a close eye when i am working on this piece.

i have some news as well , i practice on sheets of metal from XBOX 360s (they're thin and flimsy , not the chassis). Today i taped off an area and scuffed up in circles 2000 grit with wet sanding. I then did a short blast with Tripoli then a longer Dialux White , short Tripoli and a long Dialux White. It came through really well no scratches from then 2000 grit , i think i might be on to something. The only thing i would like is more of a mirror finish so i need to work on that. Btw some picks below of 240 grit Dremel and almost like you mentioned (400,800,1500,2000 grit) Supercheap didn't have all the grits

Name:	20210712_102806_007 pro.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	13139

Name:	20210716_131129_003 pro.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	13140