Thread: Riveting posts

Default Riveting posts

The more I do, the more questions I find I want to ask! Latest problem: I have a pair of earrings I made with a topaz tube set on each. The lady now wants the post moved……As topaz is I believe very heat sensitive I think the only way round this is to rivet new posts on. The “body” of the earring is reticulated silver about 1.2mm thick. Diameter 22mm. A rivet head wouldn’t be obvious because of the random textured surface…..
    Is this feasible? I really don’t want to remove the stone! Any advice would be
    very welcome!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 05-07-2021 at 10:50 AM.

No hope, with riveting.
    Possibly use a new post soldered to a biggish disk, and glue it on with gel superglue, which is strong, but very fst grab, so be alert.
    To get a craftsman like job, you really have to unset the stones before re-soldering, Or start again. Dennis.

Oh! I think I will cut the tube off hoping to save the stones, then prep the area and solder on another…..having soldered the new posts on. Oh what fun! Why do some people change their minds?

Well I be! Dennis. Got both stones out after a struggle with no damage, so now to solder on new posts, new tubes etc….
    David.

For a minute I had to wonder if riveting posts was a statement or a question
    If you tried riveting a post then it would probably turn not being fixed on both sides and fall out As it’s for your better half you could make a feature of it on the front and just have her make sure that the scroll is always on so it doesn’t fall out because it will be loose. Or add a smidgeon of glue on the back and lesson learned for next time

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    For a minute I had to wonder if riveting posts was a statement or a question
    If you tried riveting a post then it would probably turn not being fixed on both sides and fall out As it’s for your better half you could make a feature of it on the front and just have her make sure that the scroll is always on so it doesn’t fall out because it will be loose. Or add a smidgeon of glue on the back and lesson learned for next time
    Ah well the dye is cast. Am starting again but salvaged both stones!
    David