Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV Resin and 9ct Gold

Default UV Resin and 9ct Gold

I’m a silversmith but I’ve started to make gold jewellery also. I fancy the idea of blackening the stamped areas of the gold pieces I make. I’ve recently heard about UV resin and thought this sounded like a good solution rather than using enamel, which I don’t have a kiln for.
    Is there any reason this wouldn’t work??

No reason why it wouldn't work, However although very convenient you do not need a Kiln to produce small enamel work you can use a torch, personally I prefer enamel, I find UV resin can be a bit hit and miss, also enamel is more "High end") for want of a better description, especially if using Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    No reason why it wouldn't work, However although very convenient you do not need a Kiln to produce small enamel work you can use a torch, personally I prefer enamel, I find UV resin can be a bit hit and miss, also enamel is more "High end") for want of a better description, especially if using Gold.
    Thanks! What do you recommend for torch fire enamel?

Simplest way is with a retort stand and stainless steel mesh on top and a butane torch.
    Something like this plus a torch, which if you are already making silver items you most like have a torch.

https://www.cooksongold.com/Enamelli...kit&channel=uk
    Last edited by china; 30-06-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Simplest way is with a retort stand and stainless steel mesh on top and a butane torch.
    Something like this plus a torch, which if you are already making silver items you most like have a torch.

https://www.cooksongold.com/Enamelli...kit&channel=uk
    Thank you 😊

One more question, if I have soldered a ring and then use my torch to add enamel, will this melt the solder?

You could try using enamelling silver solder, but it will be a close run thing, because:
    1. This solder melts close to the meting point of sterling and
    2. You have little control over the temperature when torch firing enamel.
    You would stand a better chance with a kiln. Dennis.

If you are not going to enamel over the join you can use "High melting point solder" if plan to enamel over the join you need to use eutectic solder, normal Silver solder contains zinc and will bubble under the enamel.
    https://thompsonenamel.com/product/s...silver-solder/

Sorry I did not read your thread properly, you wish to enamel gold, Gold is less of a problem as it has a higher melting point if you use one of the low melting point enamels you should get away with it, however it will be a fairly narrow window between success and failure as Dennis a kiln would be better as you have control over the temperature, ( still building mine )

Sorry I did not read your thread properly, you wish to enamel gold, Gold is less of a problem as it has a higher melting point if you use one of the low melting point enamels you should get away with it, however it will be a fairly narrow window between success and failure as Dennis a kiln would be better as you have control over the temperature, ( still building mine )
    Yes sorry, I am referring to Silver now as I have an order to make that is a stamped silver ring with hints of colour in the stamped areas. No enamel on the solder joint…