Thread: Soldering Gold-Filled Chains

Question Soldering Gold-Filled Chains

Hi Jewellers,

Usually, I work with gold and silver, but I have decided to introduce gold-filled jewellery into my range. I have purchased a very fine loose gold-filled chain (0.6mm) and 9ct easy yellow gold solder. After watching a variety of videos, I soldered 5 chains now, and every single one of them has this pink cooper colour in a place the chain was heated. I try my best only to heat the joint, and I use a hand torch (Dremel). I tried polishing it, making a white vinegar and 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, pickle and no pickle, and no luck. It's so little information out there about gold-filled, that is hard to know what I'm doing wrong. Before I give up and scrap the idea of the gold-filled range, I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips at all? I read that tumbler is really good for it, but I don't think I can put such fine chains to it. I was thinking maybe to try Ultra Polishing Pads or Firescoff® Ceramic Flux?

Thank you xx

Most of the information out there suggests you can solder gold filled. This is, in fact, rarely the case, especially with fine gauges. You will almost inevitably burn off the gold outer layer, exposing the brass underneath, which will have a red/copper cast - and whilst it can be treated and polished back to a certain degree, it will re-oxidise over time.

The simple solution is to use only cold connections for gold filled. If you want gold-coloured pieces that have to be soldered, you might as well just use brass.

Alternatively, make things in silver, and have them gold plated to vermeil after finishing - this at least is perceived as being of value in a way that GP over base metal isn't.

This is beyond helpful, thank you so much! I don't want to be cheeky, but is there any places you can recommend for getting my silver jewellery to be vermeil? That's if you based in the UK of course, as all of this gold-filled, and gold vermeil is completely new to me Thanks, George!