Thread: Argentium and sterling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Argentium and sterling

Morning everyone, hope you're all full of creative energy and raring to go today Can I solder argentium to sterling silver and fine silver and if so can I use standard hard solder? I'm making myself some stud earrings. I want to make the backs and studs out of argentium as I'm a little bit allergic to sterling

Yes and you can use hard medium or easy, may have a slight colour difference once polished it will hard to notice.

Yes, but by using Argentium solder (suggest easy), the sterling will be a little bit further away from your piercing.

Note also, the Argentium post will be fragile while hot and needs to be air cooled. Also any clamp must be gentle, or the hot post can shatter under pressure.

To harden the post after soldering, give it a few twists along its length.

Lastly, it's better to use Argentium scrolls, which are actually well made to complement studio work. Dennis.

I'm looking forward to seeing your earrings Sheena.

Dennis, are you suggesting that Argentium scrolls are better suited to use with Sterling too.., or just as a complement with the Argentium posts?
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing your earrings Sheena.

Dennis, are you suggesting that Argentium scrolls are better suited to use with Sterling too.., or just as a complement with the Argentium posts?
    Hi Jules I'm really excited by these ones. Hope they come out as good as I'm thinking. I had a commision to make some drop earrings and these are made from the metal scrap that was left over as well as two gorgeous London blue topaz.
    Thanks Dennis and China for giving me some super useful info to get them finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Hi Jules, the sterling scrolls available in UK are ether pathetically small, or so large as to be gross. As a result, over the years I have imported some from Fischer in Germany, together with their double grooved posts, and find them more in keeping with hand made work.

In reply to Sheena's question, I suggested she use Argentium scrolls with her Argentium posts, and even Argentium solder, because a mixture of metals close to the fragile lining of a piercing might well give rise to a reaction.
    The Argentium scrolls are very pretty, but for the reason above, would not use them together with sterling posts. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fischer Findings.jpg  

I used to buy my favourite scroll backs from Palmer Metals but they've radically changed what they sell and it's not on their inventory anymore
    Last edited by Sheen; 20-06-2021 at 05:58 AM.