Thread: Commission for two tone ring.

Default Commission for two tone ring.

I have just been commissioned to create a ring like the included photo. Silver flat band with a 3 mm central strip of 9ct gold. I have figured a few ways I could do this:

such as creating two rings and slipping the gold band over the silver then solder in place. Problem here is there is going to be a large cleanup of excess solder. Not to mention soldering a .4 mm thick band of 9ct gold.
    2nd method, I thought might work is to sweat solder the gold band in place then continue soldering the ring like any other ring. Problem in this case is the join will have to be two types of solder.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Make the basic ring to size, allowing a little extra width.
    Make three additional rings to fit the base ring snugly and solder in place one at a time. The excess width of the base gives you a ledge for the final row of solder snips.
    In this way all the final solder is confined to the base ring, and the excess base can be filed away at the end. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Twisted Wire Ring2.jpg  

Make the silver ring smaller, then slide the gold ring over the top of the silver ring then stretch them both up to the size you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Make the basic ring to size, allowing a little extra width.
    Make three additional rings to fit the base ring snugly and solder in place one at a time. The excess width of the base gives you a ledge for the final row of solder snips.
    In this way all the final solder is confined to the base ring, and the excess base can be filed away at the end. Dennis.
    This sounds like a excellent method, and makes complete sense. Thanks a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Make the silver ring smaller, then slide the gold ring over the top of the silver ring then stretch them both up to the size you need.
    Thank you Josef. I don't have a ring stretcher, just another thing I have to buy. Your suggestion sounds like the simplest solution. Thanks for sharing.

If we are talking about evaluation in this thread i would like to mention an article from Cu*tGems. It is clarifying for us what can be the price of the ring depending on different details and how is silver in general. I am saying that it was a complete discovery for me, but i definitely learned few new facts.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 01-02-2022 at 01:05 PM.

We weren't. I was watching to see when you started posting spam.