Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Hi Sheena,
    Lovely to hear you are getting your hallmark set up. Its an amazing feeling. When I first started over 10 years ago I hallmarked everything, whether it was over the weight or not. Now I just hallmark things over the weight, or items that I've spent a lot of time on.

If you prefer to have 3 letters - go for it!! Its your hallmark !!

xxxx
    I wonder if I can contact them and get it changed? Might try on Monday. You never know my great great grandfather was a watchmaker and jeweller in Aberdeen, I now know for sure that he never got himself a hallmark, bit of a shame as it's going to be difficult to find any of his jewellery. But on the other hand his watches are signed

As far as I know they order them out with the office so it’ll depend how far on the order is. My 3 initials would have been rubbish especially in the Scots language CAJ or CAK, just doesn’t flow!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    As far as I know they order them out with the office so it’ll depend how far on the order is. My 3 initials would have been rubbish especially in the Scots language CAJ or CAK, just doesn’t flow!
    I was successful in changing my order to three initials this morning The ladies at the Edinburgh assay were all lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I was successful in changing my order to three initials this morning The ladies at the Edinburgh assay were all lovely.
    They are all very patient!

That's great - my punch has arrived but I'm struggling to get a good clear impression. I've never been keen on stamping so I guess practice is needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    That's great - my punch has arrived but I'm struggling to get a good clear impression. I've never been keen on stamping so I guess practice is needed!
    You need to whack it quite hard on lots of scrap!

Another way to gain consistent results is to use a press, but that will cost more money

I've pinched a gurt big 'ammer from my husband and that's working better. Still need to practice! I need a loupe to read it at 1mm.

Yes you need a firm whack with an engineers hammer. I can’t read mine anymore either. I get in such a sweat marking mine even after decades that I have mine mostly laser marked

I've always had my pieces stamped by the Assay Office and never went with having my own stamp. However, why would you want to stamp your own pieces? They have to go in for assaying anyway, or is it much cheaper??
    Jules