Thread: Cousins disc cutter?

Default Cousins disc cutter?

Hello all,

I'm strictly amateur, but could use a disc cutter. I am considering the 14 dia (3 to 25mm) Indian disc cutter D41194 sold by Cousins. It looks like a low-budget version of a Pepe Premium, and very similar to the Cooksongold Artisan 999-6832. It is circular with a knob in the centre, and has stepped cutters and sprung plates with 3 locating lugs.

In the photo it also looks as if it has sloping faces on the cutters. If so, at £56.95+vat it seems a good deal for light use.

Has anybody here used one? Can anybody confirm the angled cutters?

I messaged Cousins customer services twice but, although they had 10 in stock, they said they could not tell me whether the cutters did have sloping cutting faces.

You have already experienced Cousins customer service, and they will not take items back if you don't like them.
    It looks good value, but if it cuts ragged disks, or the cutters stick you will struggle.
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/14...mm?code=D41194
    Recommendation:Buy from a company that accepts returns. Dennis

To be blunt it is made in India DON'T TOUCH IT

Well that’s 2 very good reasons to go elsewhere although Cousins tends to be more of a reason not to touch it as sometimes people seem to get good value from Indian goods as an entry level.

Thanks all for the replies.

Regarding it being Indian... I probably do only have an entry-level budget for a cutter, so I wouldn't hold that against it.

As for Cousins' customer service, their actual replies to me were:

1: The disc cutter is as supplied on our website.
    2: We have followed up your query, however unfortunately we are unable to advise this information or add it to our website.

I had thought accounts of their customer service mere legend, but it seems not!

They are legend but never in a good way, that’s why most of us steer clear of them!

Re the angle on the cutter. I’ve just checked my Swanstrom and they do indeed have an angle which is counteracted by the hole into which it’s placed presumably to start the cut.So that’s valid
    Last edited by CJ57; 02-06-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Their customer service people and their stock are held in two very different places. One does not speak to the other, and their computer systems are like-minded. However, if you telephone their toolcentre in Hockley, they generally have the actual tools to hand. They can't sell them to you from there, but can usually provide information, and I've found them reasonably helpful in the past. I don't, of course, know if they've survived the recent lockdowns.

I'd also add that all the 'artisan' cutters are Indian made, and many are pretty decent quality.

Anecdotally, a friend of mine has a version of this same tool (but bought on ebay). The faces are angled, and after spending a bit of time polishing the surfaces, said it did a pretty decent job. Especially on the basis that you have to punch a lot of discs to justify the cost of having one rather than simply buying precut discs.

I have a Pepe and a Swanstrom, and in terms of mechanism, slightly prefer the Pepe (on which this is based), mainly because of the holding screw knob rather than lever, which tends to jam. It also has a better range of small sizes, whilst the Swanstrom has more larger sizes, and has its apertures better positioned in terms of making it easier to cut from smaller pieces of metal.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Their customer service people and their stock are held in two very different places. One does not speak to the other, and their computer systems are like-minded. However, if you telephone their toolcentre in Hockley, they generally have the actual tools to hand. They can't sell them to you from there, but can usually provide information, and I've found them reasonably helpful in the past. I don't, of course, know if they've survived the recent lockdowns.

I'd also add that all the 'artisan' cutters are Indian made, and many are pretty decent quality.

Anecdotally, a friend of mine has a version of this same tool (but bought on ebay). The faces are angled, and after spending a bit of time polishing the surfaces, said it did a pretty decent job. Especially on the basis that you have to punch a lot of discs to justify the cost of having one rather than simply buying precut discs.

I have a Pepe and a Swanstrom, and in terms of mechanism, slightly prefer the Pepe (on which this is based), mainly because of the holding screw knob rather than lever, which tends to jam. It also has a better range of small sizes, whilst the Swanstrom has more larger sizes, and has its apertures better positioned in terms of making it easier to cut from smaller pieces of metal.

Thanks mizgeorge! I have found the number and will give them a call. I'm up for some regrinding/fettling if needs be. I've been watching ebay but haven't seen this one there yet. I'll probably keep looking.

One more observation from me:
    Disks offer an easy option as a base for earrings, pendents and more.
    However in no time you might realise that a range based on disks can be too commonplace, and you will ned to upgrade your skills.
    After that, your splendid disk cutter might only see the light of day two or three times a year, so you might be better buying a simpler but more reliable one in the first place. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    One more observation from me:
    Disks offer an easy option as a base for earrings, pendents and more.
    However in no time you might realise that a range based on disks can be too commonplace, and you will ned to upgrade your skills.
    After that, your splendid disk cutter might only see the light of day two or three times a year, so you might be better buying a simpler but more reliable one in the first place. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis. I decided to order a cheaper 11 dia 3-25mm" disc cutter (also with locking plates). It may not be the best, but it will get me started.

I decided not to order from Cousins ...too risky. It's a shame that such a well-stocked business is let down by poor customer service.