Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet sales

Default Internet sales

Hi everyone,
    can I pick your brains about etsy stores, i’ve noticed a lot of people have them.

being a latecomer to the digital world I’ve never sold anything over the Internet.
    i would love to try and have a go somewhere somehow.

Would etsy be a good place for beginners just starting out?

Do you have many sales or is there a lot of competition?

do you have any top tips for a new-be on Internet marketing?

thanks

inquisitively .... Nick

I sell on Etsy but not very much, I think it helps to have a product that's called something you would search for. If you say 'wood inlay ring' you would be lost in a myriad of wooden rings but if you were to say 'ring inlaid with wood from Old Trafford stadium' you have more chance of there been less people selling that and people may search Old Trafford ring for example. I have spent lots of time trying to work out social media and online stores etc and think you will sell on them but it will cost you a lot of money in advertising/promotion to sell a lot of things. I would love to understand it properly.

thanks for your reply Josef,

you make it sound similar to search terms in YouTube. so ideally an item that is a popular searched word with low competition.

social media would be good start for me although I’ve not started on that one yet.

To understand Internet marketing properly it seems to be a vast labyrinth of knowledge to learn.
    i’ve been looking for a local evening class to attend on this subject, with no avail so far.

selling bits and bobs to friends and family has given me an incentive to take it further.

your website looks fabulous, must be a lot of effort to get up to that standard.
    The octopus ring really grabbed me, it has very curious look.

all the best Nick

I personally think etsy works well if you link it to a social media account like Facebook or Instagram. I follow folks on instagram get to interact with them then buy their product on their esty account. The biggest problem with etsy for jewellery is the huge amount of items listed with the same keywords. Even something like 'silver flower ring' gets lost in a mountain of cheap commercial stuff.

Hi there Nick (of the gizmo/template/video fame) I have a bit of a diy website which isn’t really up to date and is a bit “clunky” and also I have a presence on Numonday. I must admit I use both as a convenient form of catalogue to refer people to. I am not looking to make my hobby a full time occupation at my ripe old age. I found that going to a farmers market regularly every week where there are other crafts as well as all the “edibles”, has been the best advertisement. People talk! I have regular birthday present and other followers including just a couple or more people asking me to design and make specific items. Also I have an exclusive high quality small clothing shop that stocks items and encourages me in design and variety. I am becoming as busy as I want. It really depends upon your ambition.

thanks Sheen,
    I regret not keeping up with social media, it now seems a daunting task to learn.

I probably need to spend less time tinkering in my workshop and more time sat in front of a screen.

i’ve started watching beginners guides to etsy on YouTube and it does seem to be a lot about search optimisation, keywords and tags. What a challenge to try and sell something like simple silver earrings.

I thought etsy was about handmade items, looking at it there’s a lot of people reselling commercial stuff.

all the best... Nick

Sadly Etsy is no longer about handmade items, that changed a few years ago, and there are huge amounts of people pushing through cheap bought in stock. That said, there are some awesome creators who use Etsy as their platform (or one of their platforms) so I can be done but I suspect it takes a lot of work. I have a website but find I get more sales through a Facebook page I have. If I had the time and inclination I'd get my head around Instagram a bit more but I'm not about to try and take over the world so I don't see the point in spending too much time on that.

Not that I've done one for years but I do think in person events can be better for sales - although even that can take time to build an audience - and obviously we've got other issues with in person events at the moment.

hi David,
    Numonday is a new one to me, amazing how much is out there.

having a website and presence on the Internet must be a great benchmark for people looking to buy.
    I would like to turn my hobby into a small pension one day, so I do have a bit of time left to get it sorted.

I have sold some silver stuff from arts and craft stalls, A lot of work but very rewarding socially.
    your shop outlet sounds great, i’ve always dreamt of an arts and crafts boutique near the sea.

what’s your website name .... can one use the same name across the board of social media. YouTube is where I started with all this and have used the same name on this fabulous forum?

all the best Nick

Hi there Nick…..website is www.fieldsportsjewellery.com. I will pm you with other details and chat.
    David

I have several friends on Etsy selling from a linked account on FB. From recent comments there seems to be a lot of complaints about new terms and costs. I looked at it in the past and it requires so much work and information on top of what has already been said about the quality of work being sold and using the right hashtag to get your work in a search amongst some inferior tat. It’s taken me years to get a 700 following on fb but that doesn’t relate into sales. The whole social media thing expects so much time spent on it over various linked platforms I would lose the will to live as I find it really tedious. If it’s your full time job then I suppose it becomes part of your marketing time.
    My only reason for my page was to link to an event I take part in every year and remind people of my existence even if I haven’t made anything for a while.