Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Internet sales

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    thanks Sheen,
    I regret not keeping up with social media, it now seems a daunting task to learn.

    I probably need to spend less time tinkering in my workshop and more time sat in front of a screen.

    iíve started watching beginners guides to etsy on YouTube and it does seem to be a lot about search optimisation, keywords and tags. What a challenge to try and sell something like simple silver earrings.

    I thought etsy was about handmade items, looking at it thereís a lot of people reselling commercial stuff.

    all the best... Nick
    Consider Instagram, as it really doesn't need any knowledge to use and at the very least you'll have a page of lovely looking squares of your jewellery. Where instagram excels is it's filters and photo editing buttons. They are incredibly easy to use and give great results. Also because insta is owned by Facebook you can use your posts on Facebook if you wish to
    Facebook is much more confusing though the most popular.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I agree Caroline, It takes so much time for the return you get. The only time it worked for me was when I spent money to promote my products on facebook and Instagram which are linked, but it wasnt really worth spending the money for what I got back, I have tried allsorts give aways, compertitions even been nice to people but its set up to take your money off you. I suppose thats why the social media companys are some of the richest. I also read that 97% of websites dont get any regular footfall so unless your paying google etc your not going to see many veiws. I wish I knew the answer, Ive spent so much time and money and its not really worth it yet. I would love to hear from anyone who is making social media work for them that could give me some pointers.
    I think that with social media you need to find your tribe. So on instagram you need to follow people who would be interested in your style and comment on their posts. I also can't recommend highly enough following as many folk in your local area as possible, they're likely to follow you back and people love to buy from someone in their home town.

    Also in answer to Nick, yes you can have a jewellery range, that is often the most recommended way, but I see quite a few successful jewellers who make anything they fancy and still do really well, because they have a following.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I think that with social media you need to find your tribe. So on instagram you need to follow people who would be interested in your style and comment on their posts. I also can't recommend highly enough following as many folk in your local area as possible, they're likely to follow you back and people love to buy from someone in their home town.

    Also in answer to Nick, yes you can have a jewellery range, that is often the most recommended way, but I see quite a few successful jewellers who make anything they fancy and still do really well, because they have a following.
    I don’t want a tribe to be honest and I don’t follow other jewellers if I can help it due to the fact I’m never anywhere therefore don’t want other designs sticking somewhere in my brain cells. I used to get the occasional ‘I’ll follow you if you follow me on my fb page that’s the deal’. Eh no I’ll follow you if I like your work and for no other reason. If you like me follow me otherwise I really don’t care. Although I didn’t say that! Also had if you sell things under £50 I’ll share on my shop page which was mostly fair trade but it had thousands of followers:/ My fb is supposed to be linked to my Instagram page and it’s really quite enough of a waste of time. Given the limited energy I actually have to make anything I only feel the need to really put it out there when I have a new collection to show or an event I’m taking part in.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I donít want a tribe to be honest and I donít follow other jewellers if I can help it due to the fact Iím never anywhere therefore donít want other designs sticking somewhere in my brain cells. I used to get the occasional ĎIíll follow you if you follow me on my fb page thatís the dealí. Eh no Iíll follow you if I like your work and for no other reason. If you like me follow me otherwise I really donít care. Although I didnít say that! Also had if you sell things under £50 Iíll share on my shop page which was mostly fair trade but it had thousands of followers:/ My fb is supposed to be linked to my Instagram page and itís really quite enough of a waste of time. Given the limited energy I actually have to make anything I only feel the need to really put it out there when I have a new collection to show or an event Iím taking part in.
    I meant more tribe in terms of if you're making steampunk jewellery find out where the steam punk enthusiasts lurk and chat with them. The same goes for wildlife jewellery, where are the animal lovers? To be honest with you I have far too many jewellers following me and they're not really going to be customers

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I meant more tribe in terms of if you're making steampunk jewellery find out where the steam punk enthusiasts lurk and chat with them. The same goes for wildlife jewellery, where are the animal lovers? To be honest with you I have far too many jewellers following me and they're not really going to be customers
    That’s where the hashtags come in I thought.They're supposed to do the work for me I find this whole idea of likes quite damaging. I know how much it affects young people, I even find it upsetting when I lose a page like on my jewellery page and then I remember that FB just plays around with your numbers and reach and then they send a daily post about buying advertising. You do wonder why you spend hours taking photos and editing and then when you post them they reach no more than 100 of your 700 followers. I believe the norm is around 10% so that’s a lot of effort for little return

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    129

    Default

    hi caroline, thanks for your help,
    you seem to have found a balance between the real world and digital one.

    your open studio thing looks great, nice to be part of a large real world community especially in the arts.
    Bristol has a sort of arts Trail programs, but it’s not as advanced as yours.


    it now seems Facebook is the first platform to start to get on top of and maybe focusing on a commercial account like yours would be a better way of getting something new going.

    all the best Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 29-05-2021 at 09:14 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    hi caroline, thanks for your help,
    you seem to have found a balance between the real world and digital one.

    your open studio thing looks great, nice to be part of a large real world community especially in the arts.
    Bristol has a sort of arts Trail programs, but it’s not as advanced as yours.


    it now seems Facebook is the first platform to start to get on top of and maybe focusing on a commercial account like yours would be a better way of getting something new going.

    all the best Nick
    Our OS even only happens once a year in May and has about 80 participants and has been going for about 15 years. Last year was a disaster, they only postponed not cancelled and then puddled about undecided later doing an online event but it meant I lost my fees. This year they are mooting the last weekend in Oct but that’s a terrible time to have people coming through the house, used to be around 300, so not for me this year. It’s ok for people with a studios out with the house but I can’t see me taking part again for the foreseeable so will have to find another way. I like being in charge of my work until point of sale. I can spend an hour with a customer, trying on, fitting, meeting their needs and knowing all is well when it leaves me. Not sure what I’ll do now.
    Fb is a start and will take a bit of work to get a presence.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    129

    Default thanks

    wow... what a fascinating and informative read all of this has been on a complex and challenging subject.

    thanks to all the contributors for sharing their insights, experiences and wisdom.
    The content has been very informative, motivational and has given me a lot to think about.

    good on Cooksongold for providing this fabulous forum to participate in.

    all the best .... Nick

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...rf9BHtKU4lFUhQ
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 29-05-2021 at 11:46 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    129

    Default

    yes has been a difficult year for a lot of people. must be helpful to have a few fingers in many pies for when one goes bad other opportunities can be focused on.

    I think the Bristol arts Trail has the same problem, I don’t fancy hundreds of strangers trampling through my home on a cheap day out with there kids.

    I think what I’ve understood from all this is....

    use any social media that you can find the time to manage properly, whilst linking and networking between them all.

    work on developing a digital presence, getting a name out there, and finding a niche.

    thanks caroline,

    Nick

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    yes has been a difficult year for a lot of people. must be helpful to have a few fingers in many pies for when one goes bad other opportunities can be focused on.

    I think the Bristol arts Trail has the same problem, I don’t fancy hundreds of strangers trampling through my home on a cheap day out with there kids.

    I think what I’ve understood from all this is....

    use any social media that you can find the time to manage properly, whilst linking and networking between them all.

    work on developing a digital presence, getting a name out there, and finding a niche.

    thanks caroline,

    Nick
    That’s about it Nick.Good luck!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •