Thread: Voice over worries

Default Voice over worries

hi all, i’m struggling with the sound of my own voice, may have to do a voiceless video next time.
    what do you think, although the content may be a bit simple for most people on here.
    thanks for any feedback … Nick

https://youtu.be/LyrKln7rzw0

Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    hi all, i’m struggling with the sound of my own voice, may have to do a voiceless video next time.
    what do you think, although the content may be a bit simple for most people on here.
    thanks for any feedback … Nick

https://youtu.be/LyrKln7rzw0
    Doesn’t everyone! I can’t listen to myself and apparently no one else can as a video taken for an Open Studio had my picture only:/
    Your voice is clear and steady and it sounds fine to me for the purpose of teaching

thanks for that caroline,
    maybe more practice needed to get over the cringing and squirming that arises when seeing and hearing myself on video. perhaps I should have kept up with the world of social media and selfies.
    all the best… Nick

Sounds fine to me - I hate hearing myself too. I was interviewed in a podcast a couple of weeks ago but I can't bring myself to listen to it at all ( I'm told I sound like Julie Andrews!)

I think it sounds great very clear. Defiantly carry on with your voice. I umm and arr my way through videos but I'm past caring now.

thanks all for your encouragement, Caro you could get paid for sounding like Julie Andrews, getting past caring is the place to be, l umm and arr a lot too, so have to write a script and try and read it out.
    thanks for your reassurance a little bit goes a long way…… Nick

No, that video is just right, Nick: no dithering, no gabbling and just the right pace to follow easily.
    You say it's elementary, but every one likes to see how the other one does it. Dennis.

thanks for that Dennis,
    I really struggled cutting jump rings neatly and without breaking saw blades, until I found this technique that works well for me.
    all the best…. Nick

I think your voice is just fine - very clear and easy to understand, and no unnecessary waffle.

I'm not so keen on the background music, which doesn't seem to have any relevance (it makes me feel a bit like I'm waiting for a takeaway) and is distracting - I'd much rather hear the sawing! I don't generally like music on tutorial videos, not least because people have such very different tastes in music, so I think it's always better to err on the side of caution and simply not have any. The sounds of working are more pleasing, not to mention more authentic.

Couple of little comments - since you're English and in the UK, please spell jewellery 'our' way rather than the American jewelry - by all means add it as a tag for people searching if necessary, but not in the main titles!

The other is me being a bit pedantic about grammar - you say "there is more than a hundred rings in this..." and of course it should be "there are more than a hundred..." It's only a very little thing, but it's surprising how much good spelling and grammar is subconsciously taken into consideration when we view things and evaluate the credibility of those we're watching.

I'm not wishing to be over-critical, but once a copywriter...

I think you're doing a great job with these - I've often thought about doing some chain tutes, but I lose the will to live after the first few shots, and I can't get my head around social media at all!

well thanks for all that George, gives me a lot to think about.

yes I think you’re right about the music thing, I’ll definitely be leaving it off the next video, a few people have mentioned the same issue.

I have deliberated over the spelling of jewellery for what seems like hours and hours for this video.
    I finally went with the option of jewelry for SEO reasons. Most of my YouTube views come from the USA and globally the spelling ”jewelry” is search for more than double that of “jewellery”

Like you suggest maybe mixing it up a bit would be a better choice to use.

literacy, spelling and grammar has never been my strong point in my life.
    I never wrote anything to anyone until I discovered Siri on my iPad. I now dictate everything i need into a word document and most of the time it looks about right.
    Although mistakes are inevitable, spotting them is a bit of a nightmare and some can be really embarrassing if I’m not careful.

Always striving to look more professional and credible, i probably need to get someone to check my stuff a bit more often …. maybe I could send everything to you first………… joking

I appreciate your feedback … all the best Nick