Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flush Setting - Drilling Problem

Default Flush Setting - Drilling Problem

Hi everyone,

I have a very frustrating and strange issue.

I have been flush setting into 3mm brass, everything has been going fine until it now.

I try to drill into the metal, with barely any luck, it will hardly drill, I figured my drill bits were blunt so I bought some new bits.

They still won't drill through. As if they are also blunt, but they aren't. ( I can get about half way after a long while of different bits)

I have been using a dremel stylo and it has been going fine until now, but I tried a different dremel just incase, still won't work.

I tried a different piece of 3mm brass - won't work.

I have tried applying different amounts of pressure - different speeds - lube - no lube - I still am strugging to make a hole through.

The past few holes have gone swimmingly using a 0.5mm then a 0.7mm then a 1mm drill bit (I found it easier to start tiny) and so on, but now nothing works, no matter what.

I cannot figure out what is going wrong. Please help. I am getting so frustrated

Thank you in advance if anyone has any idea what is going on!

Having eliminated everything else, maybe you have started on a new bit of brass? Brasses vary so this might be a harder variety.

You could try annealing it:
    Warm the piece and paint all over with flux.
    Turn off the lights and heat until the flux becomes transparent, and the metal begins to glow dull red.
    Immediately drop into cold water.

Hopefully it will become easier to drill. Dennis.

is your drill in reverse by any chance?
    Nick

Yes, you're right Nick. That's a more likely reason.
    Hope Anne comes back, or we'll never know. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Having eliminated everything else, maybe you have started on a new bit of brass? Brasses vary so this might be a harder variety.

You could try annealing it:
    Warm the piece and paint all over with flux.
    Turn off the lights and heat until the flux becomes transparent, and the metal begins to glow dull red.
    Immediately drop into cold water.

Hopefully it will become easier to drill. Dennis.
    Thanks for your reply. I started with a new cut off of the same sheet of brass, because I just have one A4 sheet of 3mm brass, and have annealed it, still no luck. Could it be I got lucky with the first section but in reality maybe I should not even be using brass? (was such an expensive sheet!) Would copper work better for this? Or would it be similar? I can't practice in silver...

Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    is your drill in reverse by any chance?
    Nick
    I wish! That would make so much sense with the way its drilling (kind of pushing the edges up instead of going through) It's unfortunately not in reverse, I wish that were the case.

You could try drilling with a ball burr, make sure you run the drill as slow as you can and dont use to much pressure start with a small one then drill out to what size you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, you're right Nick. That's a more likely reason.
    Hope Anne comes back, or we'll never know. Dennis.
    What else can one do with 3mm thick brass if I end up not being able to use it? It's so thick I can't think of what else I can do with it!

(edit - its 2mm, sorry)
    Last edited by Anne1827; 26-05-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Try a much slower drill speed speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1827 View Post
    I wish! That would make so much sense with the way its drilling (kind of pushing the edges up instead of going through) It's unfortunately not in reverse, I wish that were the case.
    From what you describe it does sound as if the drill is in reverse. Have you tried drilling a piece of scrap wood, if it still doesn’t work on something soft then it’s a problem with the drill and not the brass?