Thread: Smiths Little Torch setup

Default Smiths Little Torch setup

Hi Everyone.

Apologies if this is a repeat from previous Little Torch questions, but I was unable to find a thread specific to my issue.

I'm running propane with an OxyCon unit (see pic). Both units have flashback arrestors. The gas appears to be running ok, and I can easily adjust the flame size. However, the issue I have is when I introduce the oxygen. I've tried numerous levels of minimum and maximum output on the OxyCon, but the flame keeps blowing out. Even when making micro adjustments directly from the Little Torch, I still experience the same issue. I've run the OxyCon for several minutes prior to testing, and ensured the line was primed sufficiently.

Any assistance/guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks - Gray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails setup.jpg  

When you say you've run the oxycon for several minutes, have you left the O2 tap on the torch open while doing that?
    There's a lot of volume in the line to get through before you get the higher concentration O2 out.

Hi Peter - thanks for your reply. Just to be sure, I’ve just thoroughly purge the line (value fully open at the torch) while running the OxyCon for 5 minutes. Still the same result. Very frustrating. I’ve watched so many vids on little torch setups, and I can’t see what I am doing different.

My only other thought was that the OxyCon isn’t producing pure oxygen. The ‘normal oxygen’ LED is illuminated and it’s a new unit, so I have no reason to believe it’s not.

Many thanks - Gray

I had the same problem. I sent the Oxycon back to be fixed and it works great now.

Interesting. I do have my suspicions that it is the OxyCon.

Thanks for your feedback.

Problem solved!

I managed to borrow an oxygen bottle & regulator this afternoon. The torch is running perfectly!