Thread: Engraving machines

Default Engraving machines

I have made a number of silver bangles in various designs and to my delight they seem to be popular. One request I have had from a number of clients who are buying these as presents, is can I engrave a name and date on the inside. I think one would have to engrave before bending the stock? But the big question is what kind of outlay is it for a basic simple machine? I have the suspicion that it may be better to “farm” this task out, but would like your opinions. One problem is I love tools but this may be a tool to far!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could use one of the small cnc routers that are on ebay for a couple of hundred pounds you can do basic script with the included software if your doing the banglles flat, Its a bit of a learning curve but once you get your head round it you can do lots of things with it. It wouldnt be fast though.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CEUZvgshLd_/ this was engraved directly into the metal with a cnc router but was a pain to get the letters to flow round the side of the bangle correctly Its what the customer wanted.

I send all my engraving to a master engraver, he uses the hand pushed technique, this in my opinion is a much "classier" result than machine engraving, a competent engraver will be able to engrave your bangles after your have finished them.

How simple's simple? I have a Gravograph pantograph machine that I have to confess I never use - I prefer the versatility of hand-engraving lettering. The pantographs are quite mechanical (and need progressively weirder setups if you want to engrave anything other than a flat sheet), are limited on font & kerning but they still have their place.

Thanks for your comments. I think I will investigate getting the engraving done rather than complicate the process further. However I will still keep my eyes open for that irresistible bargain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk