Thread: Sterling rivets through wood?

Default Sterling rivets through wood?

Hello folks,

Haven't been here for a while, but glad that this forum is thriving!

I am making a small wooden presentation box and plan to fix decorative sterling butt hinges to the back. They will be small, around 30mm across and 25mm top to bottom when open. Because the wood is only 6mm thick and also, actually mainly, for design reasons, I'd prefer to avoid using screws to attach the hinges to the box. Do you think I could flush rivet the hinges through the wood? I'm hoping it would end up with neat silver dots where the rivet heads are on the inside of the box and minimal visibility of the fixing on the hinge.

What do you think please?

Unless the wood is very hard, I would use well fitting tube rivets with heads or domes already soldered on.

The heads can be made from slices of thick wire of your choice, domed, or flat.
    Then I would use sparing amounts of glue (epoxy, or gel superglue) to fix them in place and finally weaken the open ends by inserting a ball burr before spreading them.

Here are example of rivets like that used in two ways, but no glue was use for the metal cuff. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails be Belt Serendipity.jpg   Puzzle Cuff1.jpg   Puzzle Cuff2.jpg  

Lovely pieces Dennis and thanks for the advice. I can easily incorporate a domed or flat head in the hinge design and spread the rivet on the inside. Thank you!

Look forward to seeing your work then. Dennis.