Thread: chunky chain

Default chunky chain

Hi all,
    what do you think of this sort of men’s chunky chain I played with awhile a go?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13044
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85428E3F-B627-4C6D-B65C-3B44A959C200.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	13045

possibly a how to make vid ... although might be a bit long winded and more of a longer play Version.

thanks nick

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...rf9BHtKU4lFUhQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 408E1003-E72B-402B-80AC-18768FF6B630.jpg  
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 13-05-2021 at 12:39 PM.

I like it a lot - the combination of chain making styles is very interesting.

I do think a handmade chain deserves a better fastening though...

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I like it a lot - the combination of chain making styles is very interesting.

I do think a handmade chain deserves a better fastening though...
    Yes particularly as chain takes a lot of time and effort

Yes, people use bolt rings and lobster claws, because that's what you see in high street windows, but they scream commercially made.
    It is easy to devise a fastener which has more affinity with the chain, for instance like this. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rcc3 Detail of Catch.jpg  

hi all... and thanks for your comments,

yes I agree lobster claws can be a bit of a copout sometimes.... I would love to learn how to make proper box clasps ... i’ve made a couple out of copper that we’re so nearly there.

I once sold a chain that I made in a silversmithing class, the tutor said the toggle clasp was well formed.
    three months later the customer half accused me after they had lost their wrist chain claiming the clasp was at fault.

so I now do the option of a lobster claw clasp because people seem to like them, think they’re reliable and easy to use.

I could change the clasp on this old chain to suit a making video or show a few different possible clasp options.

i’ll have a think about what to do for the clasp in the vid ..... thanks Nick