Thread: Hello Everyone!

Default Hello Everyone!

Hi everyone!

I am a newbiesmith/newbie (jewellery) metalsmith, I went to a few classes last year but have been mainly learning by myself which can be an incredibly frustrating process, especially when so many items I see in tutorials are not available in South Africa, particularly in the metal arena, we get granules, sheet metal and plain wire and that is all. No pre-made anything else. I appreciate that this will make me a better metalsmith in the long run, having to make everything from scratch, but it does make it a longer process thats for sure!

I will be asking many questions, I apologise in advance.

This is really what I want to do and I am determined to learn, and I hope I do not irritate people too much

Hi Anne welcome from me

You actually couldn’t be starting from a better place with the basic starting point. Once you learn how to use tools and work from sheet and wire the world is your oyster and you can do anything. You’ll never stop learning even 40 years on! Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Anne welcome from me

You actually couldn’t be starting from a better place with the basic starting point. Once you learn how to use tools and work from sheet and wire the world is your oyster and you can do anything. You’ll never stop learning even 40 years on! Caroline
    Thanks for the welcome! Yes you are right, I suppose it is better this way! I have come to see that this will be a never ending journey of learning, which I think is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1827 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! Yes you are right, I suppose it is better this way! I have come to see that this will be a never ending journey of learning, which I think is great!
    And buying tools so be very aware as it can be compulsive.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    And buying tools so be very aware as it can be compulsive.
    Yes, I've noticed this already!